Nintendo Nukes Homebrew, Piracy on DSi

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
And still more workarounds will be found. The day official games can be bought under $15 will be the day piracy dies.
People want value. Spending $50 in a game that the next year will be $20 is fairly ridiculous.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]And still more workarounds will be found. The day official games can be bought under $15 will be the day piracy dies.People want value. Spending $50 in a game that the next year will be $20 is fairly ridiculous.[/citation]
i strongly disagree. this is 100% false, you can't possibly think piracy will die even with small prices on games.

there are plenty of people in this world that want something for nothing. the only way piracy would die, if games were free.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
on another note, it'll only take a few more weeks before the hackers find a work around. new update, new work around, rinse and repeat

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm surprised companies have manufactured these cards at a volume that makes homebrew such an issue.

Nintendo needs to figure out what Sony did with the PS3, cause that seems to be working.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
"Because unauthorized channels or firmware may impair game play or the Wii console, updating to Wii Menu version 4.3 will check for and automatically remove such unauthorized files."

Trying to pass this off as a benefit to the user? Give me a break, Nintendo. At least be honest about the reason behind the update.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Sony, Nintendo, Apple, all these companies don't seem to give a crap about their customers. people should be allowed to use the devices they own, any way they want to. (note: i am defending home-brew and the type, not pirates, they can suck it)

processthis

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
He means it will potentially impair people from enjoying their Wii (which is hardware they bought and own) the way they want to (e.g. homebrew).

This is like Steve Jobs saying jailbreaking harms the iPhone experience so no one is allowed to do it.

1. That's a lie.
2. Shouldn't people be able to decide at their own risk what they want to do with their hardware? If the whole "experience" is for the owner of the hardware, who is Nintendo to decide what is or isn't a "better experience" for the owner?
3. Everyone knows those aren't real reasons, Nintendo and Apple.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Piracy will never die, but the industry could help decrease it a lot by developing quality content, and charging what the content is worth.
Show of hands, how many Wii / DS owners bought a game for $40+ and it was total garbage, too bad you can't return a game for being a piece of crap. "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
These companies want to hold their users to a higher standard than their developers. If 90%+ Wii and DS games were correctly valued at $5 on release day, the average joe wouldn't care enough to find out how to pirate, but when he spends $400 on a console and 4 games and they are all crap, he is much more inclined to get his money’s worth via pirating.

G

No Piracy won't die even if games are $5 each. However if prices went down and game quality went up I think about 80% of piracy would just stop right in its tracks. Oh and THQ, Nintendo, and apple I don't care about you darn bottom line make high quality products at actually reasonable prices and people will buy.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]And still more workarounds will be found. The day official games can be bought under $15 will be the day piracy dies.People want value. Spending $50 in a game that the next year will be $20 is fairly ridiculous.[/citation]

As eklipz330 said, It will never die. People will keep on pirating.

I remember a comment on an article here on toms a few months ago that was related to pc games piracy and that person linked a post showed a survey with a game on it. What the some of the thinks the survey ask what would they pay for.
1 Pirate it
2 get it for free
3 Pay $1
4 Pay $5 or $10
and a few other options.

Guess what, Even though it was a decent game that was worth at least $5, most people just put down that they would pirate it.

Sad people indeed.

danglang23

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Great movies/games always make money, piracy abounding or not. I really don't understand why movie/game makers get upset when they make 4 million instead of 4.5 million because of piracy. You just made millions didn't you?!

The only developers quitting, supposedly because of piracy, probably make crappy stuff anyway.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I'm surprised companies have manufactured these cards at a volume that makes homebrew such an issue.Nintendo needs to figure out what Sony did with the PS3, cause that seems to be working.[/citation]

Sony's anti-piracy tactic:

1)Make console extremely difficult to hack
2)Make price of blank media and recording devices uneconomical for piracy (Blu-Ray).

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Of the games I've played on my Nintendo DSI XL, the only one that is truly good is Super Mario Brothers, it truely makes the system. I've played a dozen or so more games on the DSI, and honestly, you couldn't pay me to play them. The Nintendo Wii also has some super games and some pretty horrible ones (showtimes boxing game for instance). The time has come to do away with the physical media (cartridges, Discs), downloads only, and a demo available for each game, and more reasonable prices. That would kill piracy and make more loyal consumers with better quality products. The funny thing is, most DSI games aren't worth pirating in the first place.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
They made so much money, and instead of using it for R&D, they waste it on something that can never be defeated since the 'big bang'... Nice move. I won't be surprised if the next Wii will use the old composite and s-video connection, with mono audio... I'm not falling for Nintendo again.

Status
Not open for further replies.