No audio through coaxial cable on old Panasonic Viera

WaiseHell

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
I have this very old Panasonic Viera I’m trying to hook up for my grandparents to use. When I was using it I only used it with a Roku and HMDI cable and it worked perfectly.

Here they only have a coaxial cable for cable tv. I managed to get all the channels etc, but the sound won’t work. Have tried it at a friend’s house to see if their cable might’ve been an issue, but again, no sound. I can see the channels perfectly, but it doesn’t have a sound.

At this point I thought the soundboard might be an issue, but I’ve connected it to a DVD player through SCART and the sound works.

Right now I’m wondering if maybe the TV doesn’t take audio from the coaxial cable, and if buying a converter so I can connect it through HDMI would work. They’re fairly expensive so I want to make sure I won’t just spend money pointlessly. I can’t exactly find information on this TV, except for the new Viera which isn’t much help.

The TV model number is TX-32LXD60. Would it actually be worth buying one of those converters from coaxial to HDMI to get the sound working?