Norwegian Gunman Used Modern Warfare 2 for Training

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yet he only has 0 Achievements. Killing innocent people isn't one.

Puts a bad name on video games and news corps will be showing how bad games are etc. I ran over many people, blew them up and dragged them behind a car, but never had a thought to do that in real life. Mental people shouldn't play games

G

'Breivik labeled the game as "the best military simulator out there"...'

Clearly this man is insane..

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]Something tells me he may have an "accident" while in prison. I doubt many inmates would look favorably on what he did and if there are any followers of Islam in the pen with him he'll be lucky to make it 21 days.[/citation]

I doubt he will survive long either. He killed 86 people, quite a few of which were children. What are the odds that he killed a few people that were relatives to some of the inmates of where ever he is going. If they do some digging and find out this guy was a child molester then I can safely measure his time in prison using hours instead of days.

G

" the fear is that this small portion of his manifesto will get blown out of proportion " That's why you guys wrote that news?...

PS. Hard to imagine what would be if he ever played Battlefield...

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Atom33[/nom]Guys, to get a complete picture, you need many pieces of the puzzle. To carry out what that guy did also requires many elements. One element required for that to happen was delivered by that game he was playing. You can call it the tip of the iceberg or whathever. Yes, sure, he has many other problems which provided the basis, but the game helped. And as people freak out now in this country or another, one of the contributing factors are games like that. That is beyond dispute. If you are a corner case, dont play it : ) How it works? It trains to shoot without thinking and without compassion. Without emotions. It helps remove one of the obstacles in the way of performing such acts.[/citation]

So you are saying he would not have killed anyone without the game? In case you are wondering in situations like this, the gunman has already lost compassion for his intended targets. He could have just as easily bombed the entire location and got the same results without the help of guns. He had the knowledge of making fertilizer bombs, so it was definitely on his mind.

This was personal, he wanted to see the faces of the people he despised. He wanted his victims to look into his face and see that he had absolutely no remorse for what he was doing. This man saw these individuals as less that human and would have kill them all with an olive fork if he had the chance.

The game was not the enabler or motivator for the killings. It was his own prejudice and hate that drove him to this point. By your logic this guy would have beaten everyone to death with a bowling pin and bowling ball if he had Wii Sports.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dRsPOCK[/nom]THE GUY IS A WHITE RIGHT WING CHRISTIAN TERRORIST AND HE THOUGHT HE WAS A KNIGHTS TEMPLAR FIGHTING TO KEEP EUROPE MONO-CULTURALLY CHRISTIAN. SADLY, A LOT OF PEOPLE IN AMERICA ACTUALLY LIKE THIS GUY. VISIT THE RIGHT WING WEBSITES AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.[/citation]

Dude, go put your tin-foil hat on, sit in the corner and shut up. You have no idea what you are talking about. There is no evidence out there that this guy ever practiced any form of Christianity and in his 'manifesto' he describes his support/love/admiration (whatever you want to call it) for Naziism which is a ultra left-wing ideology. This guy is a psychopath, plain and simple and he fixated his hate on Islam then went out and murdered a bunch of innocent people. Stop trying to spread your stupid around.

TheGer

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Funny no one mentions that this so called manifesto has sections lifted from the Una Bombers Manifesto, or that someone logged in to his facebook page minutes after his arrest and changed his profile to appear more radical, or that the Police knew his name even before they made it on to the Island where he was, or that multiple witnesses report more than 1 gunman. This guy is a mind controlled False Flag Patsy.

It's also funny that Norway, a country in support of a Palestinian State, who was set to withdraw from the Libyan "Kinetic Action" miraculously is hit by "terrorists". How blatently convenient. Not towing the line has its consequences.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Don't these brain-dead Neo-Nazis know that Hitler wrote Mein Kampf AFTER they threw him in jail & NOT before? They read their History Books but FAIL to understand. It's as if they thought that killing & dying for the sake of Atheism is okay if they claim that it's a crusade, because Churchill waged a crusade on Nazi Germany for not being Christian, & that having a fancy funeral means that you don't go to Hell because people thought you were such a jolly good fella...

G

I don't understand why he didn't stop after 25 kills. I mean, he already got the nuke...

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Given he was some sort of conservative nutjob, maybe he mentioned that he trained with the game because he also wants to get games banned. I'm sure it wasn't his primary motivation, but it wouldn't surprise me.

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
wow...

I just bet he also used a clock...and maybe even a phone to carry out his plot.

But from the sounds of it he was high tech...probably also used the 'information super highway'

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
It honestly hurts my brain to read articles like this. Even the slightest presence of common sense will tell you that video games had NOTHING to do with what happened. Couldn't have less to do with it, actually. A psychopath is a psychopath, and the world is what he makes of it. If every sane person that played MW2 got the sudden urge to go out and relentlessly murder 83 people then we would all be in a lot of trouble. But this clearly isn't the case. People just have nothing more productive to do than spread this blasphemy and knock a couple IQ point off everyone who indulges in it.

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]fjiekie[/nom]and what about games like GTA, carmageddon, or heaven forbid: postal (look it up, its crazy, only 21+ game i know...)[/citation]

Loved postal! That games kicked ass

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Godiwa[/nom]and how is that different for America Army? a game MADE to train warfare situations... *shrug*/citation]

Maybe it's because US troops have a tendency to get themselves and allies caught up in friendly fire.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
The Mafia was created because the game The Godfather was a video game. Hitler decided to kill all those jews and tried to take over the world because of the countless FPS's about WW2. Its all in the killers head. This wasn't influenced by video games. This was influenced by something mentally in his head...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Heard he played Age of Conan too, bloody MMO. Better not hear politicians slam violent video games!!! Also no death penalty for this guy after killing 80+ young adults.....crazy!!!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
meh nothing like real live people not computer generated simulated action.
if i wanted to train for this nothing beats the giant big games i play at a local field where twice a year there's 600-800 people playing paintball other wise it's about 75-200 people at the end of month big games.
granted paintball guns aren't very much like real guns as the shots don't go as far as accurate or as powerful or go thru brush and other obstacles, it's far more accurate and real then a stupid video game.
hell even a game of 1 pump bb guns or pellet guns or airsoft is better training then a video game.
video games help keep your alert level up but won't do anything for your shooting skills in real life with real guns.
that's my real life experience.
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson
there's an old midwest saying that fits this perfectly:
" there ain't no fixin' ta crazy"

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]Please provide correlative statistics between violent games and violent actions, or, StFU![/citation]
2 million+ in sales of NW2 a few terrorists and one psychotic Norwegian.
basically there are more gay people (which make up less than 2 percent of the population) playing MW2 then there are people playing MW2 that have killed people in real life intentionally or accidentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.