Norwegian Gunman Used Modern Warfare 2 for Training

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]Dude, go put your tin-foil hat on, sit in the corner and shut up. You have no idea what you are talking about. There is no evidence out there that this guy ever practiced any form of Christianity and in his 'manifesto' he describes his support/love/admiration (whatever you want to call it) for Naziism which is a ultra left-wing ideology. This guy is a psychopath, plain and simple and he fixated his hate on Islam then went out and murdered a bunch of innocent people. Stop trying to spread your stupid around.[/citation]
Godwin invoked, comments section can now be closed.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]Something tells me he may have an "accident" while in prison. I doubt many inmates would look favorably on what he did and if there are any followers of Islam in the pen with him he'll be lucky to make it 21 days.[/citation]

Hell, even if there are Norwegians in the pen.

G

Excuse me, I don't think a mouse and keyboard is a very good simulation for accurately shooting a real weapon.

G

this is a ridiculous thing to say. tell that to any professional soldier and they will laugh their asses off. like it is possible to teach yourself how to use an actual gun with a gamepad, without real physical feedback, against stupid A.I., etc.

G

1) He called himself a Christian.
2) He saw himself as a warrior of Christ, a knights Templar.
3) He was fighting to keep Europe mono-culturally christian.

So after these three tidbits, anyone who says he is not a right wing christian is either stupid or a right wing christian themselves and trying to deflect away.

Stuff it Stryter the inbred hick!

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Presumably he focussed primarily on MW2's somewhat disturbing airport massacre level, since in all other parts of the game the "targets" tended to shoot back.

Grizely1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would really like to know how this "manifesto" is only "supposedly" written by this man.

I would also like to know how MW2 , which is not realistic in ANY way, can be used as a 'training guide'. Does it take a lot of skill to stand on a rock at shoot at people that are swimming? You need a 'training guide' in the form of an unrealistic video game that has no scenario even remotely close to this in order to be able to know what to do? This is completely ridiculous.

I honestly don't even know why I bother reading the news anymore.

Grizely1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]DrSpock Is Back[/nom]1) He called himself a Christian.2) He saw himself as a warrior of Christ, a knights Templar.3) He was fighting to keep Europe mono-culturally christian.So after these three tidbits, anyone who says he is not a right wing christian is either stupid or a right wing christian themselves and trying to deflect away. Stuff it Stryter the inbred hick![/citation]

1) You have an IQ of 3
2) You type on your keyboard with your feet
3) You believe in Scientology

Therefore anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. I am so smart.

Goddard

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
This is funny stuff. As our gaming technology becomes more and more intelligent I wouldn't be surprised if they recruit based solely off of the results of gaming. Kinect is only the beginning of the changing face of gaming.

www.wtfclans.com

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
He thinks it helped him, but then again, he was up against unarmed kids while faking to be a police officer.... put him in a place with real soldiers and we'll see how long he lasts.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]Norwegian[/nom]This is not how the Norwegian prison system works. In theory he can be jailed for life, but this sentence is made so it have to be renewed every 5 years after the initial sentence is served. The rules for such a renewal is very strict, and unless his violent and retarded enough to fail a psycho test he will be out before 21 years is served.The Norwegian system is not primarily about revenge but to protect society against further crimes, to prevent anyone from taking revenge in their own hands (this have a long tradition in laws dating from when blood feuds where common)If anyone think the death penalty would deter persons like this from committing their sick crimes think again. ABB actually thinks that he will be shot and tortured in Norwegian jail.[/citation]

Thanks for the info. I've heard so many conflicting versions about how the Norwegian system works that it's hard to know which is right. Regarding prison as a deterrent: I agree. If someone is demented/sick/committed enough to commit murder (especially that of so many people) the threat of prison or death is not going to stop them. My concern is that the families of those killed have to live with the idea that this fanatic will be free to roam the streets again soon.

Dirty Durden

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Look, the guy was not Christen, he even said so numerous times. This nut believes in evolution not creationism & said he is not religious or spiritual more than twice. What more do you want him to say, to prove he not a Christian? TRUE Christians do not murder kids!

Off topic, but isn’t this the same argument leftist try to make when they are try to take away our guns & our GOD GIVEN right to defend ourselves, “Guns kill, so we must take away all guns”.

GUNS DON’T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!!

Video Games don’t kill people.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
modern warfare as training... no, but thats not to say it cant be done.

lets go battlefield bc 2, snipeing. it may not be 1:1 real life, but it could give you an idea about bullet drop. and also, it could help you figure out how people would move or react. i don't know about any of you, but in those games i try to move in ways that keep my a** alive longer. so it could be used to figure out hoe people may move/hide/ possibly counter attack.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Someone needs to put a spam filter into Tom's Forums. There are least 3 spams on this thread alone. Just automatically nuke all messages that contain "FREE SHIPPING", "Handbags", Ugg Boots", etc - they would not be part of legitimate nerd discussion.

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Hmm... and all these movies and TV shows are non-educating on how to commit a crime.... yep, let's just blame it on video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.