Not enough disk space to update.

Lewmur44

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
I have a Toshiba LX0W-C32 tablet that only has a 32gb SSD. I can't update to the latest Win 10 1709 because there is less than 8gb available. I have used Disk Cleanup and deleted everything I can think of and still can't free up enough space. My Windows folder is showing 26.4 gb of files compressed to take up 18.7gb of disk. I know this is far, far more than it should being using. Can anyone tell me what folders in C:\Windows I can safely delete?

Solution
I found a solution. After a lot of exploring, I found that the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder to be extremely large so I ran a google search on the folder. It seems that Disk Cleanup is supposed to take care of deleting old files from this folder but failed to do so. But I found this command to be run from the command prompt with Admin privileges:
C:\>Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
This restored several gbs of disk space and allow the Windows 10 upgrade to 1709 to install.

USAFRet

Illustrious

What to delete? None of them.
What you are seeing is pretty normal.
32BG OS drives are simply far too small.

I have an Asus T100T with a similar size drive.
The only way to do this to create a Win 10 USB install, from a different PC with sufficient free space.
In your Toshiba, boot from that and do an OS install, selecting "Keep Everything".

Lewmur44

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
While 32gb isn't a lot of space, it is enough until MS haphazardly fills the disk with trash. And there ARE folders that can be deleted. I am currently deleting C:\Window\SoftwareDistribution to regain a couple gbs. And I know there are other folders. And I posted in another thread that I can't get this tablet to boot a USB stick so I'm stuck with deleting stuff.

geofelt

Distinguished
I have a Lenovo 100S with similar specs.

I think you have a port for a SDcard that can add a significant amount of storage space.
Buy one of sufficient capacity and speed.
Move some of your user files to the sd card to clear up space.

I just checked.
The properties of the windows folder shows 13gb, 8.9gb with 93934 files.
The useful space on the 32gb ssd drive is 27.7gb.

If you delete files, empty the recycle bin to reclaim the space.

Lewmur44

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

I have a 64gb SD installed but I've already move what I can from that directory. And it isn't the one taking up diskspace. The c:\Windows folder is the one eating up the space. Deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder helped a lot but I still need about another gb.

geofelt

Distinguished
Would you possibly have a windows.old folder? It might have come from a windows replacement update. It can be deleted.
There has to be a major file you have in there somewhere to account for the difference in our windows sizes.
I use 8.9gb, you use twice as much.
My os is a 32 bit version which should take up less space.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Still have hibernation on? Or a large pagefile?

Turn hibernation OFF, thusly: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

On my Transformer, the Windows folder is 11.1GB.
Total used space, with only a very few utilities installed is 20GB.

Lewmur44

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015

Already deleted windows.old and turned off hibernation. The problem stems from having upgraded too many times. Each time you do, there is morec and more junk left behind.

Lewmur44

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
You tell me. I've been trying to find the answer to that for days. I have stcks for Win 7 32 & 64, and acouple for Win 10 that all work in other laptops bt not in this one.

Lewmur44

Estimable
Sep 29, 2015
I found a solution. After a lot of exploring, I found that the C:\Windows\WinSxS folder to be extremely large so I ran a google search on the folder. It seems that Disk Cleanup is supposed to take care of deleting old files from this folder but failed to do so. But I found this command to be run from the command prompt with Admin privileges:
C:\>Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
This restored several gbs of disk space and allow the Windows 10 upgrade to 1709 to install.

Solution
Aug 9, 2018
Nice Find Lewmur44.
Ive ony used the DISM cleanupimage/restore health. Its quite staggering just how many great cmd prompt services there are out there.
Really great find. Im currently struggling now to install 1803. Onto a W10 32gb eMc PC.
it came with 1607. Without installing barely anything, maybe just Firefox & Skype, I was left with under 8GBs of free space. Its just terrible how MS do this, These semi regular feature upgrades are just terrible. ! preferred 1511 personally, & would liked to have stayed with that. But they pull support. Terrible!
Anyway, I did a factory reset, and still I only had 13.7GBs free. Think I'll still struggle with that.
There are a few forums where they show you how to use an Ext-HDD to help. The old windows data gows onto that. An SD card, but preferable a USB Flash drive.
But its just way too much hassle to have to go through this every few months when they release a feature upgrade. Also... By default, they delete all restore points, system image points, (making ur System Images all but useless). They also "Turn OFF" the restore option. So you have ro remember to manually turn it back on. (& make a new system image, if its worth it. Being only temporarily of use until the next feature upgrade). I'm so so sick of MS & W10!! Even W8.1 wasnt half this bad, IMO.
To the point... Did deleting the extra space with the elevated cmd work well? And any bad side effects at all?
Cheers Lewmur44,
Brent Rossiter. New Zealand.

Aug 21, 2018
the solution for your storage space is this, first of all reset everything like a fresh start from windows, first install all the updates from Microsoft after resetting your pc, if you have problems with updates just plug in a usb flash drive with atleast 8gb capacity whenever the system encounters disk space problem, after you have installed the latest update, go to settings then search for storage sense then look scroll down till you find CHANGE HOW WE FREE UP SPACE FOR YOU where you will be able to delete windows.old folder from windows update in which your system will be updated to the latest security updates and you will still have atleast 19gb of storage left to install application you might need or want, well this does help me a lot since I can't find any forum that will help me to be able to install the updates with the 32gb storage pc, it will work coz mine has before issue with updates from Microsoft due to low disk space I'm using hp with 32gb internal too,