notebook FAN is not spinning

hackoff

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hello masters,
i have problem with notebook of my friend. Her Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 2550 is not working. I dont know what is cause and consequence. When i turn it on, it shows booting and F2 for BIOS menu and after that next step it shows only black screen with white cursor. It is not about bad booting. 1st is HDD , 2nd DVD ROM. but the main defect is i think that FAN is not working. it is not spinning when i turn that notebook on and when i let it turned on for a while it starts to overheat.
I also triend to chceck fan cable. it has 3 pins and when i tried to measure voltage there all 2 pins combinations (black, yellow, red) showing me 0V. So where could be problem?

MoPCTech

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

It sounds like you have verified the issue. If you are recieving 0 vdc with the Red (+) and Black (-) when powered up it is most likely hitting thermal shutdown. If you have a battery of 6-12V you can test the fan and i repeat ONLY THE FAN by touching the black and red to the appropriate poles of that battery.

The yellow is the signal from the sensor. Also verify that there is nothing jamming the blades of the fan, dust, lint, a screw, etc... If you blow air through the heatsink make sure you hold the blades still so you dont spin a bearing or pump voltage through the MB.

DC motors will function as generators if you Blow air through them and they hit a high enough RPM.

hackoff

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
ohh, thx for answers. i already cleaned the fan from all dust before i tried think about any other possibilities. you had very good idea about blowing into the fan so i generated about 0.5V with it so i think fan is ok. i dont have any battery to test it other way. maybe give some 1.5V batteries in paralelly but this was easier. as jarotech said i didnt have any voltage on pins during laptop was turned on. so what to do now?

hackoff

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
after an hour of searching i found R247 under a GPU board. I measured it and there was exact 3.3V DC. So signal to the fan is alright i suppose. So it means that it doesnt give any voltage to the fan. but what to do?