Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M keeps disappearing

ackingo

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
Hi,

I have 2 graphic cards working with nVidia Optimum, GTX960M and Intel HD Graphics 5600. Now, my GTX960M stops working and disappears on device manager. When I try to see hidden devices, GTX960M appears grayed out.

Afterwards, this message appears;

"Code 45: Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer"

It just finds these devices only when I uninstall drivers of GTX960M and Intel HD 5600 in Safe Mode with DDU then install. This manual-solution situation just bores me. My device disappears even when I shut my computer down for 5 or 10 minutes and goes down in Hidden Devices section. And again, I uninstall in Safe Mode with DDU then install all the drivers again
I need help.

Solution
I have had the same issue for the older version of the GPU you have here. I have a GTX660M inside a Lenovo Y580 gaming edition.
The one special thing about this laptop is that it has a pre-set 16GB SSD for cache. When I was running windows 8.1, I cleared the cache and converted the drive to NTFS for game storage. Now I suspect that the drive had something to do with GPU buffering as well. This is why I would stay away from lenovo from now on. They have WAY TOO MUCH BLOATWARE! So while removing them, you could mistakenly uninstall essential programs.
The rest of the problems could potentially be, according to what I've done.
1. Upgraded to windows 10
2. Had completely disassembled the whole laptop (could cause loose/damaged wiring...
Hi,

Have you tried changing the power management of your graphics card in NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Do another clean install of the graphics card driver.
- Please do refer to this link: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
- Once done do set NVIDIA as the default graphics card.
- Here's the link on how to: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card
- If all these will not work do a factory reset with your laptop.
- Worst case is after the reset and same problem persist the problem lies in the graphics card itself.

ackingo

Estimable
Jan 11, 2016
One important thing I factory resetted my windows 10 by using recovery and I deleted every file I have, now. If my nvidia drives are not coming up -when I turn on pc- I restart my pc and it comes. So can we check if we have any solutions to that one.

GPUs4CommonMan

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
I have had the same issue for the older version of the GPU you have here. I have a GTX660M inside a Lenovo Y580 gaming edition.
The one special thing about this laptop is that it has a pre-set 16GB SSD for cache. When I was running windows 8.1, I cleared the cache and converted the drive to NTFS for game storage. Now I suspect that the drive had something to do with GPU buffering as well. This is why I would stay away from lenovo from now on. They have WAY TOO MUCH BLOATWARE! So while removing them, you could mistakenly uninstall essential programs.
The rest of the problems could potentially be, according to what I've done.
1. Upgraded to windows 10
2. Had completely disassembled the whole laptop (could cause loose/damaged wiring, chipset damage..) to tighten up device connections.
3. Vacuum cleaning the fan every now and then with a handheld Dyson.
4. Forgetting to update driver for long periods of time.
5. Relying heavily on CPU based applications.
6. Forcing DirectX-9 games on the GPU. Seriously, the integrated intel b.s video card still can't do games from 2 decades ago:??:.
7. Early overclocking.

Solution