OC'ing R9 290 to match 290x for Crossfire

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I currently have one Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC and have decided to add a second card for Crossfire. I have managed to find a slightly superior card - Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-x - for more or less the same price as just another 290 Tri-x.

As far as I am aware, you can Crossfire any two GPUs from the same family, in this case AMD's 'Hawaii' chipset. Equally, I understand that a Crossfire configuration can only go as fast as the slower card.

My intention is to insert the new card - 290X - in the top PCI-E slot (16x) and run it as the primary card. In any non-Crossfire-compatible games, this will at least give me a bit of a boost over the 290. However, I would like to know what I can do with the older card (which is going in the x8 slot) in order to get the most out of the 290X.

In theory, could I overclock the 290 close to what the 290X is running at? Both cards come with a mild factory overclock. Also, with a second card, PSU headroom is going to be limited, so I won't be touching the voltage on either card.

Thanks in advance for your help, guys.

smill110

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Also possibly worth taking into consideration is that the 290X Vapor-X appears to come with a backplate. Will this have any bearing on which card I should put on 'top'?

TRENDING THREADS