"Online" installers don't work - Steam, Adobe Flash Player, etc.

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hi all,

When I download installers that need to download the rest of the install to work, for example, steam, any blizzard installer (diablo 3, starcraft) and even as simple as adobe flash plugin even. When I try install these, it simply fails. Adobe Flash player installer gets to 47% and then fails saying "Download Timeout".

Blizzard installers just simply hang forever and left it over night and in the morning it was sitting at 16%. I won't go any higher no matter how long I leave it.

Steam won't work either when it's "Updating" and stops saying something about checking network connection. I reformatted a clean install of windows 7 64 bit, downloaded all the updates (SP1), turned off windows firewall, UAC, etc, etc.

I have a brand new mobo, chip and ram that I just bought. Intel i5-3770 3.40 GHz and 16GB of ram. I tested the ram, all good. I have a great internet connect downloading at 20mbps. I have tested both wireless and through direct connection LAN. I have no packet loss at all.

I have no idea what to do next to figure out whats going on here. I am considering buying Windows 8 but that shouldn't be the issue, it has to be something else.

Does anybody have any ideas?? Would appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Um... Internet connection? Direct X disabled in Internet settings? Yellow bar at the top of the page blocking installation?

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

These are downloaded .exe files that I execute. It isn't in the browser. I really don't think it is a Internet Connection issue although, I have an SSD Hard drive and I boot up pretty quick. When windows loads it connects to my network but having "Internet Access" seems to take longer than usual. I will usually have to wait, 10-15 seconds for it to allow internet access.

I do have custom settings in IE10 to allow ActiveX, etc as I have read some of these installers might use it in the background maybe?

I will also add that I am able to download large torrents without issue.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Is it wireless connection? can you connect wired? If it is wireless- do you have wireless phone in your house? Try to connect wired and see if it resolves. Do you have Windows defender? Did you check Firewall settings? See if it blocks it.

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I appreciate the replies Astralv, thank you. But I have answered all your questions in my original post so I'm not sure if you have read it? I said I have done wireless and wired, no difference. I have turned off firewall, etc. Nothing seems to help.

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Sorry- I remember you said something aout Firewall. How about Win. Defender? It also feels like something with your internet settings and connection. Is there any other computers that have same problems?

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hmm.. I just went to control panel to check my settings as you said that and wouldn't you know, explorer crashed.

As I said, I checked my RAM and no errors. What is the best way to check my mobo or Processor for errors?

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Under Computer right click Manage/ event viewer.

If you can replicate crash of IE under any items in control panel- let me know.

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I don't think it had anything to do with Windows Defender at all, it was just a random crash and it wasn't IE it was Windows Explorer

Astralv

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Good, then. There is a virus that affects Control Panel, this is why I asked. It blocks startup. I dont remember if you said- any other computers have same problem. Unstable internet may go all the way down the cable line. May be it is a time to call provider. Hope you fix it.

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks, it's definitely not unstable internet. I can download and install anything on my two laptops over wifi with no issues at all.

georgegore1990

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

im having the SAME. EXACT. ISSUE. everything you stated, ive done as well. i also installed every recommended driver for my system off the lenovo site. i've only had my laptop for about a month now and ive had soooo much bs happen to me. i've already had to factory restore twice. lol. theres so many things i need to get on this computer that these dumb installers won't allow me to get. does anyone else have any ideas for the two of us? :[ i feel your pain misura, for real. its terribad.

georgegore1990

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
oh and i should also add, im on windows 8 64-bit... and also, often times when i start up an installer, after its done stalling and hanging for a good 20-60 mins, it'll tell me that i "currently have another install going and to retry later when it is finished" when i dont even have one other install going at all. its really really weird.

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Hey, I was using windows 7 ulti 64bit before. I bought a copy of windows 8 64bit and it seemed to fix all the issues. I'm still noticing a bit of unresponsiveness every now and then which shouldn't happen considering the machine I have, most noticeably when I download a file in FireFox and choose the save as option.

It seemed to have been a crappy install of windows that was doing it. Either that or the drivers (which I have the exact same drivers install in windows 8) weren't working that well with the install. Do you have a different version of windows you can try?

georgegore1990

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013

Afraid not.. :( plus, the way my notebook is setup, if I were to use a different version of windows, from what I've read, it'll mess up a lot of the hardware and potentially make some of it unusable perminantely.. I have a Lenovo y500 with onekey recovery which is a life saver and ive read that people who partition their drives and format a different version of windows then the stock windows 8 end up screwing up onekey recovery and lose it perminantely.. :/

Misura

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Honestly, I'm sure you're a fan of the onekey installers but I always do a clean install of windows on anything. Laptop or desktop. For me, there is nothing better. You can download all the drivers you need, put them on a flash drive and just install them after a clean install.