Open Source Alternatives: Productivity Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
You forgot to mention Microsoft Security Essentials. It's worth mentioning because it's actually supported by Microsoft and it's free (as long as you have a genuine OS). :-D

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I was wondering that to, but I'm really not familiar with Glary. It didn't even show up when I Googled for a free optimization utility before. I use CCleaner now though.

Also, in the backup section, the Windows bacup tools aren't mentioned.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
I'm glad to see that last line of this article. It's very refreshing to read it and know that there are actually people out there who care. :)

G

The author of this articles confuses open source and free software.
try wikipedia for the definitions
True most open source is free (not all opens source is free). In this article I see mostly closed source free software.
Change the article title cause it is misleading (or change job)

G

Three tools missing,

Ccleaner.
Libre Office.
Microsoft Security essentials.

egeier

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Yes Ccleaner, Libre Office, and Microsoft Security essentials are good options too. Just didn’t want this to be a laundry list of software. I wanted to give some details about each and couldn’t do multiple alternatives for each category.

Only gripes I have about Microsoft Security Essentials is that it lacks sandboxing and password protection. But I do like they offer it to small businesses for free as well, on up to 10 PCs.

Does CCleaner support batch uninstall? I love that in Glary Utilities. Also Glary offers the simple 1-Click Maintenance and seems to include a bit more additional tools than CCleaner: file shredder, undelete file recovery, file encryption, disk analysis, duplicate file finder, and file splitter and joiner.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]nobody123456[/nom]The author of this articles confuses open source and free software.try wikipedia for the definitionsTrue most open source is free (not all opens source is free). In this article I see mostly closed source free software. Change the article title cause it is misleading (or change job)[/citation]
Nobody--
Thanks for your comment. Your point is a good one and we are looking in to a more appropriate descriptor for the applications discussed in this article. Some of these apps do not meet the criteria for the literal definition of "open source" which we would do well to adhere to. Keep an eye out for the headline change and our editor's update/correction.

Luckily, we're glad to take your advice about the definition of open source, but not insecure enough to change careers on your suggestion that we do so.

Thanks for reading.

Rachel Rosmarin
Managing Editor, Tom's Guide

G

No mention what so ever of Paint.NET for a free image editing alternative ?! As already mentioned CCleaner or DriveImage XML, Freebyte Backup and I agree Open Source and Free are not the one and the same. Also have to admit I too had not heard of Glary Utilities much before.. and Libre > OO any day/time.

G

Apart from the packages already mentioned, Blender and Paint.NET would also be good suggestions.

G

I stopped reading your article when I saw no mention of Ccleaner, which is only the most reliable, straightforward no bulldang, easy, coherent, usable and free software out there. Get real.

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Are people really this stupid on Tom's? Free and open source confuses you in the title so you'd prefer it said free soft ware and open source software so as not confuse your tiny brain? Do you get upset if you go to a bed and breakfast only to find out the bed is not made from a large stack of pancakes? Try one iota of critical thinking.

Laughably no one has bothered to point out that software that requires one to purchase Windows is not actually free.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I'm a longtime Photoshop user. After reading this article, I downloaded GIMP. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this product. For most applications, I can do in GIMP what I can do in Photoshop.

GIMP provides 100% of the functionality 99% of the people out there require for image editing and composition. I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.