tyloriusmaximus

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
right now i have an optical audio cable going from my computer to receiver (dedicated sound card). i am wondering if i used 3 3.5mm M to 2 RCA cables. would using these give me a better surround effect and have greater sound quality. Also i am running them over a 50ft cable would that reduce quality over ether cable

Solution
two rca cables (red+white) give stereo only... so i think that answers your question.

any surround sound you would hear would be faked by the receiver.

optical is capable of transmitting compressed surround sound digitally to the receiver.

the best possible output would be by hdmi and then using hdmi passthrough and connecting your monitor up to the receiver output however this doesnt fit all setups.
two rca cables (red+white) give stereo only... so i think that answers your question.

any surround sound you would hear would be faked by the receiver.

optical is capable of transmitting compressed surround sound digitally to the receiver.

the best possible output would be by hdmi and then using hdmi passthrough and connecting your monitor up to the receiver output however this doesnt fit all setups.

Solution

tyloriusmaximus

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

i understand that it only carries 2 channels but i can use 3 separate cables as my sound hard has 3

yes... sound cards do have 3 for 5.1 however you will be connecting up to the receiver with two (red+white) correct?

or were you going to get some sort of adapter like 3.5mm pc audio to spdif optical? in which case its not going to be an improvement.

if you want more clarification you need to state your intentions

tyloriusmaximus

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

yea the red and white connectors

tyloriusmaximus

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012

Why can i not use them, on my receiver it has room for 3 red and 3 white to plug in for one setup. my sound card supports 5.1 and i should be able to send 2 channels through a 3.5mm jack and 1 per 2rca. (a 2rca cable is red and white on one end and 3.5mm on the other)