ORNL Discovers New Material for Fast-charging Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]let's put this into production...we need it[/citation]
However, the downside of the material is that it is highly complex to manufacture and further research will be necessary in order to find out whether it could be mass produced.
Soon grasshopper, soon.
Still have to work out a few kinks in the process apparently...

G

ORNL research has been ignored before. See a much more promising project from ORNL that would have truly given us energy independence, if it wasn't scrapped back in the 60's.

http://energyfromthorium.com/msrp/

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Apple is going to file a suit against ORNL[/citation]
that battery looks EXACTLY LIKE OUR BATTERY! IT EVEN HAS NEGATIVE ANS POSITIVE TERMINALS

and the know nothing judge will probably be in favor of apple and follow up by blowing tim cook

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Apple is going to file a suit against ORNL[/citation]

Screw Apple. SCREW APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MADDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
ummmm, yea, so, am I the only one that sees the irony in having to wait for faster charging batteries? LOL.
Okay, yea, I'm being a dumbass, but I thought it was funny. On the serious side, this is awesome and I really do hope they can find a way to mass produce these cheaply and safely

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Electric vehicles will only become a reality when fusion takes over power generation, the existing network is pushed to capacity as it is and 250 million cars plugging in every night would crash the system.

Also, most power stations still burn fossile fuels, very eco-friendly (not)

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Department of Energy Lab's Chemical Sciences Division discovered that titanium dioxide creates a highly desirable material that increases surface area and features a fast charge-discharge capability for lithium ion batteries.

;)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]outlw6669[/nom]Soon grasshopper, soon.Still have to work out a few kinks in the process apparently...[/citation]
kinks????....here is one of the biggest one....GREED

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Electric vehicles will only become a reality when fusion takes over power generation, the existing network is pushed to capacity as it is and 250 million cars plugging in every night would crash the system.Also, most power stations still burn fossile fuels, very eco-friendly (not)[/citation]
I suggest you do some research. There is solid research that burning fossil fuels to power EV or PHEV vehicles is far, far cleaner than burning gas in cars.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I wonder what this mystery material is. Carbon?[/citation]
Well since graphite is carbon and they are ruling out the use of carbon, I would say that carbon is out of the question. ;)

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]"could make this technology a candidate for batteries in "hybrid electric vehicles""why hybrid? with this tech no1 needs gas anymore. EV's ftw.[/citation]Even at 5 times the charge rate, it's still a metric f-ton slower than filling your gas tank. Plus, there are so many other issues. Home charging will still be fairly slow, for one, even with specialized charging stations installed at extra cost. Not to mention costs will be less in many areas on off-peak hours, so night time is still the best time to charge. Demand on the grid is another issue. Cost for the new super DUPER 2000 volt charging stations all over the country. Not to mention cost for the battery packs themselves. A high capacity li-ion pack for an electric vehicle already costs a crapton - I highly doubt switching from graphite to titanium dioxide would REDUCE costs.

Anyway having a small gas/ethanol or diesel generator onboard gives a mostly-electric vehicle a lot more flexibility. If you commute within its battery range and charge it regularly, it won't use much fuel at all, so it wouldn't really be any worse than an EV in that kind of usage. But that way you don't have to worry about running out of juice, you can drive it like any gasoline vehicle if you need to. I think that right now that's a better compromise.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
THIS IS OLD NEWS!

the lithium titanate battery anode has existed for almost 10 years now and the guy who holds the patent on it wants like 20 billion dollars for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.