Outlook underlines my reply text in reply emails after I click Send. How do I make it stop.

Bullfrogg

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP 1 and Office 2007 (Outlook)

Often, but not always, Outlook underlines my reply text when I reply to an email....AFTER I click "Send". Sometimes it doesn't underline ALL of the text I have typed in my reply..but seemingly random parts. (It will just arbitrarily skip underlining one paragraph, for example.) It never underlines the content of the email that I'm replying to.

If I go to my outbox and open the email before it goes out, I can see the underlining, select the underlined text, click on the Underline button, and it removes the underlining.

Often I forget to check, and the first time I can see that the underlining has happened is when the copy that I BCC to myself for filing purposes comes in...or I look in my "Sent Items" folder.

But it's really inconvenient to do that every time I reply to an email.

I sure would like to find out how to stop it from underlining what I typed in a reply to an email when I click on "Send".

Solution
Click the File, Options, Mail

Under Compose messages, click Stationery and Fonts.

On the Personal Stationery tab, under Replying or forwarding messages, click Font.

On the Font tab, change the font options to what you want to use for future messages.
Do you send a lot of links? The only underline that should come up is if there is a web link. Outlook should just color the original text a different color when replying. But if you have a link somewhere, the link tag may get messed up, especially if you delete or add lines to the email, it may grab text that is not in the link and think it's a link.

Try setting the email to text only (not rich text or html) and see if those lines go away.

utgotye

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

On the Personal Stationery tab, under Replying or forwarding messages, click Font.

On the Font tab, change the font options to what you want to use for future messages.

Solution

Bullfrogg

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
OK, I tried to reply to the email "solution" (twice - see below) but it came back as undeliverable both times. So here are the replies I tried to send..

From: HenryMorgan@tampabay.rr.com [mailto:HenryMorgan@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 12:36 PM
To: 'HenryMorgan@tampabay.rr.com'; 'Tom's Guide'
Subject: RE: Question solved! "Outlook underlines my reply text in reply emails after I click Send. How do I ma..."

I'm re-sending this for illustration purposes. I got interrupted after I hit "Send" and didn't get to check the below post before it went out.

Notice, that it didn't underline everything, and only underlined parts of some of the lines of text in my reply. ?????? WTF????
(I'm making it a point to check this time, before it goes out.....and this time it didn't underline ANY of this reply text.)

From: HenryMorgan@tampabay.rr.com [mailto:HenryMorgan@tampabay.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 12:20 PM
To: 'Tom's Guide'
Subject: RE: Question solved! "Outlook underlines my reply text in reply emails after I click Send. How do I ma..."

Thanks but......

been there, done that. Checked it again just now. Didn't help. ("Options, Mail") BTW, are under "Tools" not "File")

The underlining of my reply text in a reply email seems to happen intermittently.......i.e. doesn't happen every time.....and when it does happen.....it only happens AFTER (or when) I send the email to the
Outbox. (It never happens to my comments in a Forwarded email)

If I go to the Outbox and open the email before it goes out (I have it set to send/retrieve at 15 min intervals) .....I can discover the unwanted underlining and fix it. But it's really annoying to have to open every email
after it goes to the Outbox, to check to see if the unwanted underlining has occurred.

(If I were to hit "Forward" (instead of "Reply"), edit the subject line to read "RE:" instead of "FW:", type in my reply, then paste the address of the person I'm replying to into the "To" field...... the unwanted underlining of my reply text does not occur.)

I have also found that, when composing or replying to an email......when I open the "Quick Parts" feature..... sometimes all of my saved "Quick Parts" items are underlined throughout ..... and sometimes when I open "Quick Parts" they're NOT underlined (except in places where I intended underlining).

On the occasions when Quick Parts "come up underlined" and I select one into my email..... I then have to manually highlight all of the portions that are not supposed to be underlined, and remove the underlining by clicking the underline button in the "ribbon" menu at the top of the page.

(Closing "Quick Parts" and opening it again does not remove the unwanted underlining......yet if I have occasion to use "Quick Parts" in a subsequent email 10 minutes or a day later..... the unwanted underlining in "Quick Parts" is sometimes no longer there.)

The occasions when these unwanted underlining glitches occur, both in "reply text" and in "Quick Parts".... seems to be totally random.

WHAT A FRUSTRATING PIA!!!!!!

(I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, Office (Outlook) 2007 ..... and I check Windows Updates often)

Thanks for trying,
Bullfrogg

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2015 7:34 AM
To: henrymorgan@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Question solved! "Outlook underlines my reply text in reply emails after I click Send. How do I ma..."

Hey there Bullfrogg!

Great news! utgotye's answer was selected as the solution for your question "Outlook underlines my reply text in reply emails after I click Send. How do I make it stop." http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2685483/outlook-underlines-reply-text-reply-emails-click-send-make-stop.html#xtor=EPR-8812

=============================================

Thank utgotye http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/2685483/16114256/mailreply?siteFrom=EPR-8812#xtor=EPR-8812
=============================================

~ The Tom's Guide Community Team

Don't want to receive email alerts? Click on the following link to unsubscribe: http://www.tomsguide.com/community/unsubscribeMailing/emailToPm/2011105/fc385bdd8e1410a1db8f80b635954156d4ac4983#xtor=EPR-8820

You are likely picking up some of the formatting from the other email when there is a link or an underline. I've seen it happen at times when there is a link, the link is removed but the underline stays. Then when you quote the message, the underline property is still there and the code for it moves with the text.

The fix is to be careful where you start typing the reply, this usually happens when you move text around or copy and paste items.