Patent Troll Sues Nearly the Entire Mobile Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I'd like to know when did they submit their applications for such patents .... Unless they submitted in the early 90s, they don't stand a chance in court.

cheemster

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Fuck patents. They should be used for protecting companies from copying products, NOT specific technologies that are required for practically every device in the market.

#inb4lawsuit for touch screens

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]I'd like to know when did they submit their applications for such patents .... Unless they submitted in the early 90s, they don't stand a chance in court.[/citation]

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

5,926,636 - February 21, 1996 - Adaptec
5,929,655 - March 25, 1997 - Adaptec
6,208,879 - March 8, 1999 - Mitsubishi
6,456,841 - June 1, 1999 - Mitsubishi

c_herring

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]I'd like to know when did they submit their applications for such patents .... Unless they submitted in the early 90s, they don't stand a chance in court.[/citation]In the order they appeared in the article they were filed in: 1996, 1997, 1999 and 1999; and they were issued in: 1999, 1999, 2001, and 2002. The patents actually seem pretty specific (like, they describe actual inventions as a patent should), but describes mobile phone technology from the mid to late 90s (which makes sense for when they were filed). One of them describes how the invention utilizes IEEE 1394. I'm not sure what Digitude thinks they can accomplish with these patents, and I suspect they're going to make overly broad claims that their patents don't support.

G

"Patent Troll Sues Nearly the Entire Mobile Industry"

I thought that was Apple's job.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I'm thinking about starting my own patent troll company whose sole purpose is to make money suing Apple off the face of the planet. Any one interested in buying stocks in my new company?

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Apple will probably sue Digitude, stating it invented suing other companies over patent infringements first.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Patent Troll Sues Nearly the Entire Mobile Industry
Ummm....the title of this piece implies that Digitude has already won.

Digitude has to prove that a previous licensing agreement didn't exist between Adaptec, Mitsubishi, Apple and the "defendants" at any point in time during which they're claiming patent infringement took place. Seeing as how Adaptec and Mitsubishi are both pretty open about licensing their IP to other companies....I don't see much chance in Digitude winning this.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
[citation][nom]will1220[/nom]can I patent "suing"? - - If apple can patent style and round cornered icons, i dont see why not...[/citation]
It's already been done.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
This whole "patent trading" is becoming like a drug trade. Only difference is: you don't see people selling patents on street corners or stuffing them up their asses to get on a plane. Just give them time...

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
"Key technologies"? and WTF is "Reproduction Waiting Information Effectively"?

"Mobile Information Terminal Equipment and Portable Electronic Apparatus" includes all wireless portables right - laptops, netbooks, ultrabooks, tablets, smartphones, etc? Doesn't that make this a nuisance patent... or whatever they call it.

G

No other industry ever abuse patent like Information Technology companies do. I suppose it is because IT industry over-exaggerates the value of "Information" / "Patent". We do not see this in automobile industry, for instance. Or journalism, or agriculture etc etc. Since IT companies are abusing patents, we should have a law that states that IT companies cannot have any patent that is not resulted into a final product. This will kill all the trolls, instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.