Solved! Patriot Box Office Question

Az17

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
So, I purchased a Patriot Box Office during all the Black Friday woo haa as an ease-of-use travel media player. Due to my own issues with buying without researching equipment thoroughly enough I had not realized that it's not a stream ready device so I can rule out Netflix. But that's fine since I will mostly just be watching movies from the HDD that I've installed.

My question is this, I understand that I can still use third party software to stream media but can I per chance install a different media center software altogether? Like, would it be possible to install XBMC on this or is this not possible / impractical? I'm just finding the pre-installed software a tad clunky and would opt out of using it if I have a choice in the matter.

Some of the issues I've already thought of is whether I would still be able to utilize the remote with a different software. It also came to mind that XBMC will not run without an underlying OS to run on and most likely will not run on the software pre-installed on the device. Maybe I'm asking stupid questions but I'm interested to see if it could be done without being a major pain.

Solution
Hey Az17,
You can check out the patriot forums for ways to hack the firmwares if you are trying to get another look to it, such as ACRyan's. However remember that would void your warranty. I dont know what firmware you are on now but there are also new firmware with a different UI available for DL there too.

The box is based on a Realtek processor. Its great for HD playback but adding any extra UI would just bog it down. Um, on the new firmware you can use IMS for video podcasts. so, thats pretty cool.

redshinobi

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hey Az17,
You can check out the patriot forums for ways to hack the firmwares if you are trying to get another look to it, such as ACRyan's. However remember that would void your warranty. I dont know what firmware you are on now but there are also new firmware with a different UI available for DL there too.

The box is based on a Realtek processor. Its great for HD playback but adding any extra UI would just bog it down. Um, on the new firmware you can use IMS for video podcasts. so, thats pretty cool.

Solution

mphuong221

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
Hey Az17,

Redshinobi just beat me to responding...

The PBO OS is based on Linux embedded and XBMC will only run on windows. Furthermore, the Linux OS will is not compatible with XMBC. We highly encourage you to check our forums for additional user suggestions and custom firmwares as redshinobi suggested.

Enjoy -
Mary P.
Patriot Memory