PC and Hometheatre?

May 5, 2014
Hello guys!
I have a GTX680 Gigabyte, it has HDMI & DVI outputs, but I'm about to buy a Home theater and I want the best sound I can get, I do not have an audio board, and I was wondering if I can get "surround" system (I do not know whats the sound system) the one that comes from every direction.... and I do not know if I can conect my Videocard hdmi output to the RCA input of the home theatere and get what I want... can some one please guide me?? !!! Thank You!

Solution
audio return channel (ARC) could be used however is not the way that i would go about connecting things up.

what ARC is meant for is if you have a hdmi cable between the HT and the TV. normally you would play content from a dvd or blueray on the ht and video would be sent to the tv while the ht played sound. in the case of smart tv apps, the tv tuner or other devices which are connected to the tv but not the ht what arc allows is this now unused cable will broadcast the sound signal to the ht for processing. the video signal is coming over a different cable from a different device or from within the tv itself. that is what arc is for.

how i would suggest hooking up a home theater system is to run your cable from the computer to the...
what is your budget for the home theater?

the best option would be to have a home theater system which accepts hdmi input from your pc. this would give you the best audio quality.

i wouldnt get one which accepts rca unless you had no other choice or do not have money for something better. you will need to specify also if by rca you mean red+white+yellow or if you mean that it has a rca connection for each speaker input. the first would only give stereo 2.0 sound while if it accepted one for each speaker you could get it working if you had a soundcard.

---

i export video and sound out via the hdmi on my video card which gets processed by my receiver in the home theater. i do not use one of the home theater in a box type sets and i generally dont recommend buying the "all in one" type sets but they can work if you are on a budget. you would just have to make sure that it is capable of processing surround sound from the hdmi input (for some reason some limit it to 2.1 by cheaping out on the electronics inside).

you need to list some specifics like what your budget is, what unit you were looking at and what you want in a home theater system (your expectations).

May 5, 2014
Thank you! But I mispelled it, what I meant was the ARC input that some samsung home theatre have, sorry! I wanted to know if a home theatre for example a samsung one with an ARC hdmi input is able to recognize my video card's hdmi output and get a surround system sound? Budget is not a problem I just want to know what I need in a home theatre to make that connection... please reply!thabk youvery much tho!

audio return channel (ARC) could be used however is not the way that i would go about connecting things up.

what ARC is meant for is if you have a hdmi cable between the HT and the TV. normally you would play content from a dvd or blueray on the ht and video would be sent to the tv while the ht played sound. in the case of smart tv apps, the tv tuner or other devices which are connected to the tv but not the ht what arc allows is this now unused cable will broadcast the sound signal to the ht for processing. the video signal is coming over a different cable from a different device or from within the tv itself. that is what arc is for.

how i would suggest hooking up a home theater system is to run your cable from the computer to the receiver which then is cabled up to the tv. you do not need to worry about arc then. this is how i connect up to my system.

personally i wouldnt buy one of the home theater in abox (HTIB) sets which have every single component inside one big box. most are typically limited in features and connections and build quality is normally bad. there are a few exceptions but in general this is true. your choice though.

if on a low but reasonable budget something like the "energy 5.1 take classic" speaker and sub set ($350) paired with an av receiver (about $200) would be a very nice starter set. while definitely not "the best sound you can get" its very good for the price. keep in mind when you say "best" without a budget stated that could mean $10,000 speakers (which i highly doubt you intended).

i think you should set a budget and say i want the best sound for $xxx as that will give a clear idea of what we have to work with.

another thing you could do is buy seperate speakers and pair them up to a receiver. if you have the budget for it then this would be even better than buying something like the energy 5.1. of course it would cost more as well. everything depends on budget.

Solution