Ian Feldmann

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Hi everyone, I am going to college soon and need a new sound setup for my pc. As of now I have a full 5.2 Dolby Digital surround sound setup (Receiver 5 speakers and 2 subwoofers) but I will not be able to fit those in my new dorm. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for setups that would provide very good quality sound and go pretty loud. BTW My current subwoofer should be able to plug directly into my computer (self powered) but I would like it to plug into the sound system, I would also like bluetooth if at all possible
Thanks for the help

Solution
downgrade to a 2.1 or 3.1 system with your receiver and subwoofer. put the extra speakers and subwoofer in storage at home until you are done with college or move to a bigger dorm. that would be the most budget concious option.

while possible to get powered speakers and use a splitter to send the signal to sub and speakers (on pc 2.1/2.0 doesnt separate sub signal from the fronts speakers!) you would want to use a lowpass filter for the subwoofer. this would also involve buying speakers which is not budget friendly.
downgrade to a 2.1 or 3.1 system with your receiver and subwoofer. put the extra speakers and subwoofer in storage at home until you are done with college or move to a bigger dorm. that would be the most budget concious option.

while possible to get powered speakers and use a splitter to send the signal to sub and speakers (on pc 2.1/2.0 doesnt separate sub signal from the fronts speakers!) you would want to use a lowpass filter for the subwoofer. this would also involve buying speakers which is not budget friendly.

Solution