PC for home theatre 50ft Away (Other room) - Help for Set-up

theroux05

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017
Let me explain my situation :
1. I want to use my PC (downstairs in other room) to watch movies in my lounge (upstairs) - 50ft appart

2. I want good sound, on my sony sound system (via RCA or Stero Cable). I donot want the sound coming out of my TV with HDMI cable

3. I need to be able to control my computor from upstairs (I thought of Unified Remote on my Iphone). Is this a good choice or another better option is out there?

4. I will need an HDMI extender, I thought of Hdmi over CAT6 or 7. Best solution to get over signal loss?

So my question or advise I would like to have would be :

- What's the best way to have 50ft of HDMI and no signal loss?(Resolution of TV 1920x1080)
- Since I want sound on my Audio system and not on TV, I imagine that I would need an Auxiliary Stereo to RCA cable? Is there some other option to use less cables? My graphics card is an Asus GTX 1070 Turbo (Nvidia).
- Any other options to control my PC form a distance?

Thanks alot for anyone willing to help me!

Solution
1. Best way is to use a good quality 50' HDMI cable. If running a thick cable is a problem then using good quality HDMI over Cat cable adapters is plan B. I would try whatever solution I chose before running the wire to make sure it works.
2. Since HDMI carries video and audio you can use an HDMI audio extractor at the TV to provide an audio input for your HTS. You could take the audio from the TV (you might need a digital to analog converter if your Sony doesn't have digital inputs. If you are using 2.0 analog as an input there won't be any loss taking the audio from the TV. Your local sources may be set up that way now.
Another option is to use a small local computer or android TV box that would be able to play files on your remote PC...
1. Best way is to use a good quality 50' HDMI cable. If running a thick cable is a problem then using good quality HDMI over Cat cable adapters is plan B. I would try whatever solution I chose before running the wire to make sure it works.
2. Since HDMI carries video and audio you can use an HDMI audio extractor at the TV to provide an audio input for your HTS. You could take the audio from the TV (you might need a digital to analog converter if your Sony doesn't have digital inputs. If you are using 2.0 analog as an input there won't be any loss taking the audio from the TV. Your local sources may be set up that way now.
Another option is to use a small local computer or android TV box that would be able to play files on your remote PC over WIFI, provide local online streaming and simple IR control. Given what it will cost to go the remote PC route it might even be cheaper.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious
From above:
"Another option is to use a small local computer or android TV box that would be able to play files on your remote PC over WIFI, provide local online streaming and simple IR control. Given what it will cost to go the remote PC route it might even be cheaper. "

This is, IMHO, the best solution. Controlling the PC from the other side of the house will be problematic.
And 50' apart is really 75'+, once you account for all the cable turns around walls and doorways.

theroux05

Prominent
Aug 31, 2017

Alright seems legit, I've looked up many devices for this, but as my PC is brand new and that I have a respectable GPU is there any streaming devices that are PC hardware dependant? I've looked up the Nvidia Shield, it's seems that I can cast my PC to my TV with this, not sure how it all works but will be loooking into it!