PC HDMI from GPU to New HDMI AVR... What will I get?

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015
My end game is... I want 5.1 from my PC...

I do not have a "New HDMI AVR" I have an Old Non HDMI Bose 5.1 LS28.
So I can get 5.1 playing DVD and Blu-Ray

But I want it from my PC also...
And Heck! I want all the new Dolby Tech too!
And I want to chose my own speakers! lol

But even if I went with the cheapest new HDMI AVR and plug my PC in via HDMI... What will I see? What will I get? Will it play my downloaded AC3 files etc...

Solution
TYpically you have to go into both windows sounds settings AND realtek to have it output 5.1

Do note that only 5.1 sources will output as 5.1.
Thus if you are playing music it will only be stereo (2.0).
If you are playing a 5.1 movie in a player only configured to stereo then it will also only output as stereo
You are kind of all over the place here.

Using current LS28:
If your PC has SPDIF (also called Toslink) cable you can connect that to the LS28 and you will have 5.1 and Dobly Digital

If you get a new AVR and use HDMI you will get Dolboy Digital, and DTS (AC3 files dont have DTS but blu ray discs, mkv and other files do)

So if you want to use your current stuff you can still get Dolby Digital, if you want to get new equipment then get new equipment.
As far as "new Dolby Tech" the only semi major change to dolby has been atmos which would require a very expensive receiver, and ceiling mounted speakers so dont get caught up in "newest Dolby tech". DTS is better then Dolby 5.1 for moivie playback anyways.

Sonnybu42

Honorable
Oct 27, 2015

Thanks... I don't have Optical S/PDIF from my PC... But I do have Coaxial and I'm using it now.
But I guess I do not have something set right... Realtek only shows 2.0
And when I play Test files... it's 2.0 (actually it sounds like 2 plus center)

I don't know... But "Thank You" for your help...

TYpically you have to go into both windows sounds settings AND realtek to have it output 5.1

Do note that only 5.1 sources will output as 5.1.
Thus if you are playing music it will only be stereo (2.0).
If you are playing a 5.1 movie in a player only configured to stereo then it will also only output as stereo

Solution