PC + Receiver Setup. DVI for video to Monitor. HDMI to Receiver for Audio at the same time. Is this possible?

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016
Hey all! I am calling out to you audio tech's and PC tech's out there! So basically what I am trying to do is what the title says. My video is coming from a DVI cord from my PC to my monitor, and what I am trying to do is simultaneously have both the DVI for video and the HDMI for Audio. (Which would be playing through my receiver) When in my sound options, there's no option to choose my receiver through the HDMI port. I read up somewhere saying "you need to mirror your screen or duplicate it" something like that anyway..and apparently this tricks the video card into thinking there's a second monitor, when in reality it's just the receiver. I would really appreciate the help guy's! Thanks.

Solution
if the receiver has optical input, he could always try that to get audio for the time being. its a bandaid but could get you up and running while the issue gets sorted out.

if you have another pc or laptop you may want to see if it works with your receiver. if the receiver doesnt work with it then it could be something odd on the receiver end. if it does it could be something on your end.

if your receiver specifies a certain input for pc use you may want to try that.

the big problem is that your pc does not seem to be recognizing the receiver as a device.

in nvidia settings it should certainly have shown up under set up audio as a device which would also show up in windows sound devices. what devices do show up in your list by the...
so, two separate connections.

pc->monitor via dvi (video only)
pc->receiver via hdmi (audio only)

if you do not use anything greater than a 60hz monitor you could always do pc->receiver->monitor as well.

i would suggest listing your graphics card just in case, though most any will work nowadays for this.

first thing i would do is download the latest graphics drivers, uninstall your graphics drivers, use DDU to completely get rid of them. restart. reinstall the newest graphics drivers. uninstall your audio drivers then reinstall the newest ones. restart. make sure you start the receiver first before turning the pc on in case it is a hdmi handshake issue. in sound playback devices right click - show disabled devices, show disconnected devices.

hdmi should show up in the list. generally on most computers it shows up as either hdmi output or the receivers name (this is how it appears on mine). on some computers it is disabled and you need to enable it, sometimes old drivers prevent it which is why i said to use new drivers and sometimes it is hdmi-handshake which is why i said to start the receiver first.

there should be no need for mirroring/duplicating your current screen.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

I've got a GTX 780 atm. However, I have not yet tried PC to Receiver to Monitor yet! I will do that now and ssddx, thanks a lot for your knowledge and taking your time out to help me out. It is truly appreciated!

TbsToy

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
Very easy I have been doing that for 6 years on two machines.. The graphics card and OS sees it as two monitors, (two outputs). Set the monitor as primary # 1. You have to go into manage audio devices and set the receiver as default audio device. Done.
W.P.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Sadly, I have been tryingt to get the PC to even detect the receiver. I am currently running it like this: PC -> Receiver via HDMI. Receiver -> Monitor via HDMI. PC is still not detecting the receiver, (which is odd considering I am using it right now for my video) as an audio device. I've reinstalled the nvidia drivers and that also didn't work. The receiver is still not being detected in my audio devices sadly :/

TbsToy

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
Don't run the video through the receiver. One output to the monitor for video, another to the receiver for audio. Sometimes the devices may be listed slightly differently than what you expect to see. If you have a problem with a graphics card, cables, or other hardware not functioning properly everything goes out the window, (S), , (ha, ha), sorry. Check displays in the OS.
W.P.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Yeah I sure did :( The odd part is, is that it's not showing up as a second monitor in the Nvidia control panel either.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

I will try to use the video via DVI straight to the monitor and I'll run the hdmi cable from my video card directly into the receiver and see what happens.

Edit 1: Negative. Still no audio coming through receiver and nvidida control panel still does not recognize my receiver :/

TbsToy

Estimable
Oct 19, 2015
Well that sure tells you something like there is a problem with the receiver or those connections. You are not connecting the dots.
Here is a last shot for you. Go to the Realtek site and find the HDMI audio driver. This worked for one machine here. I think you have bigger problems with the card or receiver though.
W.P.

TheHammerOfficial

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Yeah, I agree. Thanks a lot, ill head over to the realtek and get the hdmi driver and if that doesn't work, I am going to move on. Thanks a lot for time, it is appreciated.

if the receiver has optical input, he could always try that to get audio for the time being. its a bandaid but could get you up and running while the issue gets sorted out.

if you have another pc or laptop you may want to see if it works with your receiver. if the receiver doesnt work with it then it could be something odd on the receiver end. if it does it could be something on your end.

if your receiver specifies a certain input for pc use you may want to try that.

the big problem is that your pc does not seem to be recognizing the receiver as a device.

in nvidia settings it should certainly have shown up under set up audio as a device which would also show up in windows sound devices. what devices do show up in your list by the way? screenshot if possible

Solution