Jeppe_K

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Hello,
I've read some threads regarding this question, but I can't find a answer regarding the use of a HDMI-cable.
Some say that a soundcard makes a huge difference and others say that the HDMI to receiver would have the same quality as a soundcard. So I've to ask you.

I'm currently using the HDMI-output (for audio and video) from the graphics card on my pc, which goes to my receiver (Harmon Kardon AVR 270) with JBL ES100 speakers.
Would there be a difference if I got a external soundcard, like the ASUS Xonar U7 or something similar or would it just be the same?

Solution
sorry but i had to laugh at that statement..
I suggest if you want genuine sound quality speakers switch to Bose
bose is well known to be absolutely horrible in build construction but they try and make up for it with technology. unless you are dealing with the highest end products they offer it would be a good idea to avoide them like the plague.

by using a hdmi cable and bypassing the soundcard on your pc you are having the receiver do all the processing. this is also an all digital connection so you do not get any static noise. generally i would say no, a soundcard is not going to make a difference unless of course you had a $300 soundcard but only had a $100 receiver from a htib that accepted direct input plugs but typically...

vdtiwari

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

That Harmon Kardon will ,and is currently,suffice.That Asus Xonar is no better than this one.
Both are 7.1 channel.I suggest if you want genuine sound quality speakers switch to Bose.

sorry but i had to laugh at that statement..
I suggest if you want genuine sound quality speakers switch to Bose
bose is well known to be absolutely horrible in build construction but they try and make up for it with technology. unless you are dealing with the highest end products they offer it would be a good idea to avoide them like the plague.

by using a hdmi cable and bypassing the soundcard on your pc you are having the receiver do all the processing. this is also an all digital connection so you do not get any static noise. generally i would say no, a soundcard is not going to make a difference unless of course you had a $300 soundcard but only had a $100 receiver from a htib that accepted direct input plugs but typically the speakers would suck anyways which kills that idea right off the bat. if you have a decent receiver and speakers then just let the receiver process the signal. you lose out on some wonky echo effects and the like that come with soundcard software but they are no needed at all.

if you were a dj and recorded on the pc it might be beneficial to have a soundcard and direct output since recorders might not recognize "record all windows sounds" while using hdmi output for sound since the sound is not processed by the pc. you would need to plug in speakers or use a headset to get the pc to record in such cases but this affects the minimum amount of people.

i personally use a $1300 sound system and have my computer connected up via a single dvi-to-hdmi cable and everything works perfectly. no need for a soundcard here did run into a little issue when recording which i listed above. honestly... to save on all of those wires alone is worth just plugging a headset in to record.

-----------------------

the short answer:

a soundcard in most cases is not going to improve diddly squat.

Solution

Jeppe_K

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
Thanks a lot for the answers.
I'm personally happy about my setup, but I just wanted to know if I got the best out of it, so I'm glad to see a HDMI cable will suffice, seeing that I don't dj and record on my pc.