pdf edit and merge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Have to use and submit .pdf files for our work portal. We are a small company, and due to the "per seat" license the boss doesn't really want to use Adobe Pro, and yes, I know it's $14.99 a month.
I work with pdf escape and pdf merge, which have been free online tools. Not long ago escape put on a cap of free usage and merge just went to not free. I am using other less desirable online alternatives but need to purchase something.

In a quick search there are quite a few offerings, but mostly from people you have never heard of.
Is there a recommended alternative to being able to edit and merge .pdf?
If there an older Adobe product that can be purchased as a one time, one license, but be good "forever" on that machine? (older Office products are like this)

Thanks

For small jobs, there's cheap app called "Drawboard PDF", available as both UWP (Windows Store) and desktop versions.

Cheaper-than Adobe Pro is PDF Architect, at about $50/year.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
I am going to DL and try the free trial on the 'real' Adobe. Reading through the comments indicates that it now works a lot like Word, our other go to program.

That list above, by the way, is outdated. The top two are limited use, and as mentioned 'merge' which has been my favorite is no longer free either. I can't use anything that is limited to x per hour. I honestly think if the Adobe works out as well as I hope that I will just bite the bullet and pay for it myself.

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I have to merge PDF's periodically. I have a LinuxVM that I use for various reasons, one is to merge PDF's using pdfunite (comes preinstalled in Mint).

You could check out some of the apps made by these guys:

https://icecreamapps.com/

The only tool I've used is their screen recorder, which has been pretty good.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Over the past few days we have been playing with a few other of the 'freeware' programs and all of them have left us wanting.

I dl'ed the Pro today and within a few minutes of using it, I am convinced it will pay for itself in saved effort and time. It's WONDERFUL being able to work everything I have to do with editing, merging, changing page order, etc within the same program without the need to print, paste, upload, download, etc.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Yeah, the $15 a month is a BARGAIN for what this program does. I honestly cannot understand looking back why I let that stand in the way. It would be awesome if I could convince to buy it for all our techs as well. Simply makes life easy when dealing with the pdf format our account makes us submit in.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
other option is to have everyone work and submit with word docs. then the last person (sounds like you) can combine/edit/merge all the docs into one. then simply save as pdf (free office plugin) to submit final version to boss.

its how i used to do it when i was teaching. we'd all do our thing in word and then i'd make final pretty version to save and distribute as pdf to the various people who needed it. plus could save the pieces and final doc for easy edit/changes down the road and just resave as a new pdf as you go.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald

sorry i assumed you already had office installed as most businesses do. can use office for free online at office.com with a MS account but i don't know if it lets ya save as pdf. never had a reason to try it with free version.

just a thought anyway ):

Status
Not open for further replies.