Cimjam

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Hi,

I am looking for a laptop that is capable of daily continuous 4 hour video conferencing using skype (or other software). Please suggest the Processor type and RAM which will do the job perfectly.

Second Generation Core i3-2328M with 2 GB RAM
Second Generation Core i3-2348M with 4 GB RAM + 1 GB Graphics Card
Third Generation Core i3-3110M with 2 GB RAM
Third Generation Intel Pentium Dual Core 2020M with 2 GB RAM
AMD - Which one does the job beautifully?

If Intel PDC 2020M with a 2 GB RAM does the job then I will choose it over the other options.
http://ark.intel.com/products/71142/Intel-Pentium-Processor-2020M-2M-Cache-2_40-GHz

Looking forward to your opinion. Thanks.

Solution
To be honest with you I think most modern day machines should handle that pretty well, heck that Pentium 2020m is about as powerful as the E8500 in my gaming rig :D

I would probably pick one of the i3 options since they are Hyperthreaded which would help in terms of multitasking.
The Intel HD IGPUs should be able to render the video nicely, also a better webcam should also be recommended (though you can always buy a better external one)
I doubt that ram would be too much of an issue but you can always buy another 2 gig stick (same frequency) and add it in (provided the laptop has another free ram slot)

Have a look at this:
http://blog.radvision.com/videooverenterprise/2010/02/09/ask-the-expert-the-perfect-desktop-confernecing-machine/

rolandzhang3

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
To be honest with you I think most modern day machines should handle that pretty well, heck that Pentium 2020m is about as powerful as the E8500 in my gaming rig :D

I would probably pick one of the i3 options since they are Hyperthreaded which would help in terms of multitasking.
The Intel HD IGPUs should be able to render the video nicely, also a better webcam should also be recommended (though you can always buy a better external one)
I doubt that ram would be too much of an issue but you can always buy another 2 gig stick (same frequency) and add it in (provided the laptop has another free ram slot)

Have a look at this:
http://blog.radvision.com/videooverenterprise/2010/02/09/ask-the-expert-the-perfect-desktop-confernecing-machine/

Solution

Cimjam

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Solid Advice. Thank you.

AMD Radeon

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
i vote the last one
Third Generation Intel Pentium Dual Core 2020M with 2 GB RAM

but 4GB is better, if you can add another 2GB sodimm ram into that laptop, it will be even better

avoid laptop that has dedicated GPU, because it drains more power from battery

Cimjam

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Thank you.

Memnarchon

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

+1.
Ivybridge based dual core 2,4Ghz pentium is fast enough for a lot of things not only skype conference.
Also its HD graphics is based on HD2500, which is enough for daily usage (with no gaming).
Since I worked with 2GB RAM while having skype running, I can tell you that in windows 7 you might have some slowdowns.
While 2Gb should do the job, try upgrading to 4GB whenever you can afford it since it costs only $19.

Cimjam

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Thats really is what I like to know.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Honestly as the above users say almost anything will deal with skype. The only limit you will have for nicer video will be the internet connection and webcams in use.

As far as being able to handle video. Intel's onboard is perfectly suited to that task.

As other users have already stated, a dedicated video card will just drain battery power for nothing(unless it is well designed to shut right off).

Logitech lists a e6600 as being able to do full HD 1080p video conferencing in the requirements and the i3-3110M is faster.

I fully recommend upto 4 gigabytes of ram if you are doing other things with the system as well. you can run into the 2gigabyte wall fairly fast. I have seen systems running on 2gigabytes for specific purposes. So if the notebook will ONLY be for skype it should be ok.

Cimjam

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

Thats right, for 1080p video calling it lists 2 GB RAM as ideal. And since there will be other programs running, 4 GB RAM is absolutely required. Thank you.