Possible to not record Voip audio and only in game audio using a USB headset?

B-man33

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
Hello everyone,

I have this problem with my Shadowplay recordings, basically when I am in TS/ Skype/ Mumble with my mates, Shadowplay obviously records the conversations. So, I did a bit of research and found this virtual cable

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/ (its really nice, I gave a donation and got 2 extra cables)

The cable works until I reboot/ shutdown my PC, then I have to uninstall it, reinstall and reconfigure it to get Shadowplay not to record (or hear rather) the Voip audio. I am using a USB headset, it is the Razer Kraken chroma 7.1, it runs through razer synapse 2.0. I have the Razer Seiren microphone for communicating with my mates on Voip services (and for other use) I did configure the cables the following way.

If you donate to vb-audio (which I have) you get 2 extra VB cables, they are named VB cable, VB A cable, VB B cable. VB cable is set as my default playback device, I quickly realized this did not work as I did not hear anything while playing a song on my computer, so I went into the recording devices, double clicked on VB cable and select the listen function, then I selected my razer kraken USB headset which the VB cable must listen to, I went back to playback devices to make sure that the VB cable is the default playback device and it was working, I went on to set up VB B cable to also listen to my razer kraken USB headset but did not make it the default playback device. Once I click on the speaker icon on my task bar on the right side, I can see the VB cable icon and my headset icon (which is for my razer headset). When I play music you can hear the music and you can see that the VB cable and the headset is working. This was working, I started up Skype and set it up as well, the playback device for Skype is VB B cable and capture device is my razer seiren microphone, in shadowplay I muted the mic so it does not record my mic or record what I say. This setup works perfectly and I can record videos with no Voip audio and only in game audio. Then I had to reboot my PC....

After it loaded into windows, I could hear nothing... No audio was coming from my headset when I was playing music, I click on the speaker icon in the task bar and it was only displaying the VB cable was busy playing audio. Why would this happen? Why do I have to re-set up everything? Did I miss something?

I would like to know if there is a possibility to not record Voip audio while using a USB headset and using shadowplay to capture game footage? Is there a mix amp for USB headsets (or is it the same question to ask if there is really such things as pink fluffy unicorns?) Is there other software I can try which someone can guarantee me it will work rather then the VB cable? Anyone tried the voice meeter from VB audio? Might that be a solution?

Sorry for all the questions but I have struggle with this for some time now, the tutorials on YouTube helped a lot, it got me this far but I can't find anything on the web for a permanent fix to my problem.

My specs are:

Razer kraken chroma 7.1 USB headset
Razer seiren microphone
ASUS Sabertooth Z97 mark 1 (it runs realtek HD audio which I don't use at the moment)

The rest of my PC is as follow:
i7 4790k
ASUS GTX 770 2GB OC edition
Thermaltake 1050 gold certified semi modular PSU
Kingston Hyper X beast series 16 GB (2 X 8GB) RAM
cooler master 240m seidon CPU water cooler
cooler master CM 690 iii (green)
Samsung 250 GB 840 EVO (for Win 7 pr 64 bit and other software)
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM (for storage)

Not sure if I had to include this, but to be safe I did.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Been playing with a similar problem for a while now myself. Still working on it so I don't have a solution but I do have a couple of other programs to check out that I've been playing with.
Check out Dxtory and also Virtual Audio Cable. It seems from all the people I've talked to that even when you get a working setup, it can still be twitchy. So if you've gotten VB audio to work, hit up their support for some help. They seem to be pretty active on social media so you might get some answers.

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Been playing with a similar problem for a while now myself. Still working on it so I don't have a solution but I do have a couple of other programs to check out that I've been playing with.
Check out Dxtory and also Virtual Audio Cable. It seems from all the people I've talked to that even when you get a working setup, it can still be twitchy. So if you've gotten VB audio to work, hit up their support for some help. They seem to be pretty active on social media so you might get some answers.

Solution

B-man33

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014

Thanks mate, much appreciated, will definitely give it a go, I have tried virtual audio cable, but could not get it to work properly, but then also I was not sure what I was doing back then, haha, will give it a go but will first tweet VB guys and hear if they have a solution, thank you very much, if I get it to work I will try and put a video together and post it here

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Fantastic, I'd love to see what a working solution for it is. It might just help out with my streaming stuff.

B-man33

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014

Awesome, I got it to work, what I did is, I downloaded the voice meeter

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Voicemeeter/

I checked out a couple of YouTube videos and found one that helped me setting it up correctly (I hope this video will help you as well)

https://youtu.be/sc7JNe5gI1M

Only problem with my setup is, I don't have DXtory and I could not extract the audio from the videos I recorded, but then I realized, I am being stupid, I just have to mute the VB cable on the voice meeter, job done, now I can use shadowtime (record the last 5 minutes of gameplay) or just record manually and the TS/ Skype/ Mumble audio will not record at all, best part of this is voice meeter allows you to save your settings for voice meeter, I really hope this helps you as it did for me, voice meeter is for free and also the first VB cable is for free (I am sure you know this) but you can give a donation if you feel like it

The Banana voice meeter is like a super advanced voice meeter (or so it seems), I was not sure what to do there, this voice meeter seems almost identical to a mix amp (hardware) as the audio which is recorded matches, I have seen a video where a YouTuber tried out VB cables only and the Voip audio was completely out with the in game audio, a explosion would happen then 5 seconds the guy gets a jump scare, massive delay, but with the voice meeter this does not seem to happen, there is no delay

But thanks for replying, I do appreciate it, have a great day

azaran

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

Awesome, thank you for the heads up on all this!