Problem connecting Dell Laptop to Sony TV w/DirectTV (using HDMI cable)

manrossb1

Commendable
Feb 12, 2016
I was told by DirectTV that I cannot connect my laptop to my Sony TV, using an HDMI cable, so I could watch a video from the internet. I can't believe I cannot do this. I have DirectTV's genie w/internet connection, but that only gets me to the sites they control ("1000s of movie titles" available, which I could care less about). I just want to watch a live feed of a surfing contest , available on my laptop, on my large screen Sony TV. I went out and bought the HDMI cable, but I can't get this to work. Is there really no way I can do this as long as I have DirecttTV?

Hi,

What's the model of your laptop? Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- While the TV is connected via HDMI to your laptop press the Windows key + P at the same time and select between Duplicate or Extended display then press Enter.
- If that doesn't work try to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver of the laptop.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics driver.
- Do also check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test is again, press the Windows key + P at the same time and see if it would work.
- Do also make sure that the TV source is set to HDMI.