Solved! Problem with boot up on Satellite C50-B-14D

argyllandy

Estimable
May 8, 2014
i have a Satellite C50-B-14D which came to me with a faulty hard drive. changed hard drive and everything working fine apart from i had to set the time and date when i startedit back up, thats no problem i have spare batteries.

1, theres my first problem. where is the bios battery situated.
2, i installed windows 7 and started updating it, everything going fine until i plugged in my ethernet cable. now it starts up asks for me to update the clock and date, when i do that it goes to start up then turns off straight away. then have to wait 15 mins or so before i can power it on again. doesnt feel like its overheating.
any ideas i can try would be helpful.

Solution
No the battery is just the battery, which will not hold the time and date, and a few other things in place, until replaced. And yes I knew it was a different device, however the point of the video was to get a general idea of where the battery could be on yours. And in regard to the overheating, I was mentioning that due to your long start time issue. However I think at this point the battery is the one to resolve first.

Alas, I am having a devil of a time finding the location on that particular laptop. Even the Toshiba site doesn't give you the internal specs or location info. I am quite at a loss.

If any one else has an idea of its location, as I am just not seeing it in the images you shared, please speak up. :)
I am assuming you mean the CMOS battery? On that particular device, I can't say where it is myself, never accessed that one. However, when searching, I found this video on replacing it in another Toshiba, and yours should be placed similarly. https://youtu.be/NYKmbroqmOg

About the turning off, the overheating is still possible, even if it doesn't feel hot. Once you have replaced the battery, I would suggest cleaning out the interior of all dust and debris. Then once back together try a monitoring program to see if there is any overheating or other issues.

argyllandy

Estimable
May 8, 2014

no different laptop. i have to take back cover off completly.
its strange i turn on the laptop and get this - rtc battery is low , press enter to set time and date, thats fine i press enter put it to the right date and time and the exit saving changes and it just turns off and refuses to turn on again. then until i take the battery out and reset the bios.
deffo nothing to do with overheating.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/argyllandy/DSCF2108.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/argyllandy/DSCF2107.jpg

No the battery is just the battery, which will not hold the time and date, and a few other things in place, until replaced. And yes I knew it was a different device, however the point of the video was to get a general idea of where the battery could be on yours. And in regard to the overheating, I was mentioning that due to your long start time issue. However I think at this point the battery is the one to resolve first.

Alas, I am having a devil of a time finding the location on that particular laptop. Even the Toshiba site doesn't give you the internal specs or location info. I am quite at a loss.

If any one else has an idea of its location, as I am just not seeing it in the images you shared, please speak up. :)

Solution

argyllandy

Estimable
May 8, 2014

this video comments say there is no cmos battery on this model - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIBnPkt-Gus

so what is it coming up saying rts battery is low ?
could it be anything to do with the bios setup or a setting in it to start up. i have tried secure and non secure start up and no difference. any help would be good guys thanks.

Well some laptops have one that is rechargeable rather than replaceable. Which eventually would need replacing anyway. You might want to contact the manufacturer directly and ask them. For the system to say that the battery is low means there has to be a battery. RTS is just another name for a CMOS battery. :)