Problem with Internal storage in KitKat

comprocks

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014
Hello everyone,
I have a bit of a situation here.
The problem is, I can't access the internal storage of my phone (but I can install apps).
My phone is a rooted Samsung Galaxy SL GT-I9003 and runs the CM11 ROM-Build 20140507 (latest)
(can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2534312)

Also, I can access sdcard0 (Internal storage) from the recovery.
This issue is making the 'Camera' and 'Gallery' apps unusable.

Things I tried:
1. Unmounting/Mounting SD card
2. Rebooting phone

I will try re-flahsing when I have time.

What should I do so that I can access it from the ROM (through a file manager)?
Please help.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
I'm pretty Android Savvy but not big on the Samsung Stuff (Moto only guy here). So

1) what are you using for Recovery? CWM, TWRP, Ect?

2) Do you have any files on the Internal Memory you need?

3) Have you used something like Root Explorer or ES File Explorer or are you using the built in file manger?

Does it give you any error when you try to access it? And the reason why you can install Apps is because that gets installed to folders in the Root directory not the SDCard0 Folder.

You should try doing a dirty flash (With out formatting before hand) and see if that helps. If not try doing a full flash. If that still doesn't help you may need to use ADB to pull any files you need off the SD Card which can be a pain because you have to do each one one at a time or bite the bullet and just format the SD Card 0.

comprocks

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

I am so sorry I did not answer your query immediately. I was swamped actually.
Anyway, the problem has been modified.
After a bunch of re-flashes and trying different GApps packages, what happens is:

If I connect my phone to the PC, turn on USB storage, Only the Ext. SD Card is accessible but both are visible.
Then, I turn USB storage off (without accessing it on the PC) and disconnect it.

Suddenly, the internal storage is accessible and I can use all the apps like Camera, Gallery and Bluetooth that were previously unusable.
I would have been happy with that but when I reboot my phone, it becomes inaccessible again.

I know, you will ask, "Why do you have to reboot your phone?", the answer is that whenever I have no cell reception and I restart my phone, I get my signal back. Also, this being an unstable, Alpha ROM, sometimes it reboots on its own.

So, to answer your questions:
1. I am using CWM for Recovery (came with the ROM package) and even before flashing CM11, I was using CWM.

2. Sometimes, yes. But, as I have specified above, I connect to PC, turn on then turn off USB Storage, disconnect and connect again. After that, when I turn on USB storage sdcard0 is also accessible from the PC.

3. I have tried with ES File Explorer and it says 'SDCard unmounted' and does not display any files.

One more thing: If you have time, can you please post the full procedure of a dirty flash and clean flash, that is, what to do in recovery, etc. because I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong. None of the guys on the development thread are having this problem.

Everyone on the development thread flash I9003DDLF2 Firmware (Stock, 2.3.6), then get root access/flash a recovery both through Odin. And then flash the ROM. I have tried this, but it does not help.

Any help would be appreciated because sometimes, I find that the Camera is not working where I need it, and I don't have a computer/laptop there....

By the way, I now run 20140513 build and the problem still persists.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hmmm yea sounds like something is going on there. I know Samsung and Moto have different ways of flashing and what not. I only know this because i rooted my ex's S2 when we were dating and found out that all my moto stuff won't work on it lol. I would try here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-sl

For ANY and ALL Android stuff i always go here. Sorry I can't really help you out but developers and other people with the same phone as you can probably help you out a lot more.

Also the difference between and Dirty and Clean flash is a Dirty flash you flash over your current Rom (Which has to be the same rom to begin with. sometimes if they have a new release of CM11 that is still CM11 (Not like CM11.1) you can just flash with out have to do a factory reset. A Clean flash if doing a factory reset and formatting the System part of the internal storage so that you start fresh.

comprocks

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

This is where I always go, but xda forum rules do not allow members with less than 10 posts to post on development threads. So, I opened a new thread with a similar title but nobody has replied to it till now (Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2747993).
That is why I posted my question here. Thanks for your help.