Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_81

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016
Hello everyone, So recently I have fixed up a gateway laptop I need for school. I put 8gbs of ram in it and a 700gb hdd. Putting it together I was aware of the problem of it overheating but needed the laptop anyway. I opened it up and looked inside, the heatsink looked brand new. Thermal paste seemed to be fine as well as the heat pipe. I'm completely clueless on what to do. I noticed the fan only spins on boot up and that's it. The computer runs around 50-70 degrees celsius. So I purchased a laptop cooling pad which seemed to fix it but it makes it way too inconvenient. Is there anything I can do to make this thing colder?? I'm ready to lose my mind. I have even tried software to make the fan run more often, which did not work... Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
What model Gateway do you have? Your CPU is good to at least 90c (depends on which generation of i3). What temperature monitoring software are you using? Does it list any other temperatures, such as motherboard or GPU? It could be that another component is overheating.

Are you running on battery or ac power? What do you have your Windows power profile set to in Processor Power Management (under advanced settings)? Passive means fan off, active means fan on.

If the thermal paste has not been changed in several years, I would recommend putting on fresh paste now. How easy it will be depends on how accessible your heatsink/cpu is (how many screws/parts you have to remove).

If it were my laptop I would monitor the temperatures...

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Those temperatures seem normal for most Intel and AMD laptop cpu's. What CPU do you have and what is the tj max for it? Why do you think it is overheating? Fans normally only come on at higher temperatures to minimize noise. There may be an option in bios to change the fan profile. When you checked the thermal paste, did you remove the paste that you checked and reapply new thermal paste? Whenever you remove the heatsink you should put on fresh thermal paste after cleaning the old paste from the heatsink and cpu. If you do not it can cause higher temperatures.

Ryan_81

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016

Well The CPU is a dual core i3 2.4ghz, I don't know the tjmax. The laptop just shuts down at 70 degrees. The bios is weird I have already tried. And when I removed the heatsink it was only the fan. So the piping really never left contact with the CPU. Thank you for the response. I think it is overheating because it randomly shuts down and ever since I got the cooling pad it hasn't since. Ill use it if I have to Its just inconvenient to carry around.

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
What model Gateway do you have? Your CPU is good to at least 90c (depends on which generation of i3). What temperature monitoring software are you using? Does it list any other temperatures, such as motherboard or GPU? It could be that another component is overheating.

Are you running on battery or ac power? What do you have your Windows power profile set to in Processor Power Management (under advanced settings)? Passive means fan off, active means fan on.

If the thermal paste has not been changed in several years, I would recommend putting on fresh paste now. How easy it will be depends on how accessible your heatsink/cpu is (how many screws/parts you have to remove).

If it were my laptop I would monitor the temperatures of all the components and look for any other high temperatures. I usually use HWMonitor or HWInfo. I would reapply thermal paste and clean the fins of the heatsink (it's really easy for dust to clog them without being obviously visible).

Solution

Ryan_81

Estimable
Jan 25, 2016

The laptop is the gateway NV55C, Changing the thermal paste will be a two hour job but I'm willing to do so as a last resort. I use CPUID to monitor heat. The HDD stays nice and cold. The GPU does not show up, so I can't check temperatures. Im assuming its because it is IntelHD graphics. I run on battery sometimes. And sometimes I don't. I set the fan to active. I'm considering next weekend on changing the thermal paste. Can't do it today because I will need it for school tomorrow. But thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.