xpirate

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
Hey Guys!

I need some help choosing a programming language and a program for my exam's project. I would like to program a piece software, for both Windows and Mac OS X. But I do not know, what language or program I should. So do you have any suggestions?!
However it cannot be HTML or CSS, because of some exam rule...
It can contain it, but should not be the main language.

Solution

If you're new to application programming and are attempting to write a cross-platform application your best bet far and above all else is Java. It's not the most elegant solution, but it's the best for what you want to do. Python would also work, but it's not a very good language for application programming.

mcorish

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014
OSX is based on a UNIX, where Windows is not. Thus one of the many features making them completely different. Java would be your best bet as it runs on its on compiler, which runs on its own special Java Virtual Machine which translates into byte code, which would work with either system.

tl;dr: Use Java as its cross compatible.

My 2 cents, hope it helps!

Pinhedd

Distinguished

If you're new to application programming and are attempting to write a cross-platform application your best bet far and above all else is Java. It's not the most elegant solution, but it's the best for what you want to do. Python would also work, but it's not a very good language for application programming.

Windows has an optional POSIX subsystem (called Interix) which is fully compliant with the POSIX specification. It used to be included as a part of the base installation, but it was reduced to a separate software package after Windows XP and is in the process of being depreciated. Most properly written POSIX programs should compile and run under Windows with only a few minor modifications for path handling.

Solution
User interface written in Java looks awfull on Windows and Linux, I suppose it will be no different on OSX. And Eclipse IDE looks and feels even more awfull on everything I have tried it on.

On the other hand, .NET / Windows Forms works and looks well on both Windows and Linux, so I suppose C# is a good candidate for cross-platform programmins:
- you can develop in Visual Studio on Windows.
- execute under Mono for OSX, or Linux