xtreme1999

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
I was wondering whether ps4 audio (which is only digital) could be connected into the pc line-in.
So what I did is I took an optical cable, optical to rca converter, and finally a pca into 3.5mm male cable. I connected the optical cable into the converter, rca into the other end and the 3.5mm into the blue line in on the back of my pc.Yet I'm not hearing any sound, any suggestions.

P.S. I have not tweaked any settings.

to do what you want i believe you would need it set up in one of two ways.....

a) have a soundcard with optical input such as the soundblaster z. however, on the z you would need to set the optical output to pcm and not run it in dolby digital. this means that you will effectively be limited to 2.0 and 2.1 sound.

b) run the optical output of the ps4 to an audio extractor (basically a dac, digital analog coverter) and run the rca output jacks to a soundcards line-in input jack.

---

if your end result is only to play sound over the same speakers your pc uses then there is an alternative setup which can use 5.1...

you could use a 5.1 hdmi audio extractor with hdmi video passthrough to pull 6x rca outputs of analog sound from the hdmi stream while forwarding video to your tv/monitor via the hdmi output. then you would use 3x rca to stereo 3.5mm cables to take those outputs and convert them to 3.5mm.

from there you could either a) plug your speaker system into the box manually every time you want to switch sources or b) use 3.5mm splitters on each input of the speaker (3x splitters) so that you can have both connected. be aware that you can only have one device on at a time if you do this. or if you used 3.5mm switches you could have both systems on at once and just flick a switch to transfer the channels over.

or if you had a system such as a z906 you could just have one system via optical and one via 3.5mm

xtreme1999

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

xtreme1999

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Never mind, I have found the solution, it was an extremely easy fix; puts me to shame. The fix was to simply go into Recording Devices, and then the line in, right click>Properties>Listen and check the box "Listen to this device". Possibly one of the easiest fixes, thanks for your reply anyway.

-Kick R.