PS4 Slim has no optical port so what can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhysta

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015
So I bought the new PS4 slim and was exited to play. So I set it up with my capture card and came to the problem that there was no optical port to plug the optical cable from my headset into. I looked around online and people say to plug it into my TV but it does not have one. So I have no idea what to do and I cannot refund my console because I've had it for over 2 weeks now.

My headset is the Turtle Beach Stealth 500p

My capture card is Elgato game capture HD

Even though I can get sound through my headset without the cable I still need it to get sound on my recordings, it's basically one or the other at the moment.

Cheers

Solution
no splitter is required as hdmi is pass through (on supported boxes)

hdmi into the box from ps4. hdmi out of the box to tv. optical out to your headset. if you want 5.1 audio it would need to be a box that supports 5.1 over optical.

mic output from headset to ps4 (for voice chat on ps4) would be separate of course.

lag? there is a chance there could be a little however there really arent any alternatives unless the ps4 itself has an optical output. i know the ps3 had optical but i'm not familiar with the ps4 enough to say if it does or not. if it did have an optical output you would be using that and this question would not be needed.

MikeyLinton1187

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

How much are you wanting to spent and where do get your audio from when the capture card is not connected?

perhaps use an hdmi audio extractor with passthrough. they take hdmi in, pass hdmi through to the tv and depending on model have an optical output or analog output for audio.

of course if you used the controller you could use some kind of splitter there too.

no splitter is required as hdmi is pass through (on supported boxes)

hdmi into the box from ps4. hdmi out of the box to tv. optical out to your headset. if you want 5.1 audio it would need to be a box that supports 5.1 over optical.

mic output from headset to ps4 (for voice chat on ps4) would be separate of course.

lag? there is a chance there could be a little however there really arent any alternatives unless the ps4 itself has an optical output. i know the ps3 had optical but i'm not familiar with the ps4 enough to say if it does or not. if it did have an optical output you would be using that and this question would not be needed.

Solution

Rhysta

Estimable
Oct 20, 2015
Yeah i feel like having a massive chain of cords will cause insane lag and it would be better to buy another Tv that supports optical out.
Btw I need 7.1 surround so i'm guessing this adaptor may cost a lot?

MikeyLinton1187

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016

I had a look for one and the only one I found for 7.1 surround and 60HZ was the HDElity HDMI 7.1ch Audio Extractor & Mixer which is around £150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U179HHEt7-E

Status
Not open for further replies.