bernardho

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Hi,

I'm new to this forum as have some questions that need your help...
I did search the forum and have some basic knowledge, but don't quite understand it...

Item included:
1) Hisense 40" TV (http://www.hisense.co.za/product/40-fhd-led-m2160-hx40m2160f)
2) Logitec Z506 Speaker (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/surround-sound-speaker-z5063) 3) PS4
4) 5.1 Audio Converter (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Amplifier-Optical-SPDIF-Coaxial-Dolby-AC3-DTS-Digital-to-5-1-CH-Analog-Audio-Decoder-US/32747255177.html?spm=2114.search0302.4.13.HNj3K8)

My current connection:
PS4 to TV using HDMI cable
PS4 to 5.1 Audio Converter using Optical Cable
From 5.1 Audio Converter to Z506, I use normal red/white cable to connect to the speaker.

Problem:
1) Somehow the volumn is really low (even both speaker & TV have switch to very high volume)
2) Seems don't have 5.1 audio sound coming out from the speaker (Probably I only have 2 plug into the 5.1 Audio Converter

Question:
How should I connect/what to buy, in order to have 5.1 sound coming up from the speaker?
It will be nice to tell me or show me the pictures (especially cable) or drawing of the connection... =)

Thank you very much!

Solution

The converter only has RCA audio cables, so you need one of those for each speaker, but I...
With only the left/right speaker inputs going to the converter it's impossible to get surround sound.

Connect the PS4 to the TV, connect that adapter to the TV audio output not the PS4, connect all the outputs for the surround sound to the sub inputs. You will need adapters for the 3.5 mm plugs. The low audio could be from the low output from the converter to the speakers, but it may be fixed by using the TV output and using the correct cable connections to all the speakers. Since you have audio going to the converter and speakers from the PS4 with the current setup, your TV volume is not doing anything anyway so having that up is useless to adjust speaker volume with how you have things connected now.

bernardho

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
Dear hang-the-9,

Thanks for the quick response. So I need to do the following instead

1) Connect PS4 to TV using HDMI
2) Connect the Audio Adapter to TV (Which kind of cable should I use?)
3) Connect the Surround Speakers to the Audio Adapter (Again, which kind of cable should I use? As I only have those red/yellow, and a single green kind. What other accessories do I need to purchase in order to connect such into the Audio Adapter?
4) You will need adapters for the 3.5 mm plugs >> What do you mean by this?

What cable you need to use for the adapter depends on the audio output the TV has that matches your adapter.
The cables you use for the adapter to the speakers are just normal RCA audio cables. If you look at the speakers you will see that there are two normal RCA plugs and then several 3.5mm jacks for the surround speakers. So you will need RCA to 3.5mm adapters to use those with the RCA cables from the converter. Keep in mind that these speakers are not made to be used for TV output and you may still end up with lower volume. A while ago I tried to use my computer speakers with a TV audio out, and even though I have very high output speakers (400 watts), I had very low volume.

bernardho

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
hi hang-the-9,

Many thanks for the quick response!
RCA Plug is those red/yellow/white cable? SO I need those plug that look like extension wire (https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51yaHEYLLcL._SX355_.jpg) and connect it to the audio convertor?
The normal (Green/black/orange on speaker Audio In) to connect to the audio convertor as well?

Reason I bought this is previously when searching for such, there's some who recommend such item in order to connect PS4 to TV to such speaker to have 5.1 surround sound. I bought it but don't know how to connect or what cable am I shortage of, in order for it to make it work.

Thanks again

The converter only has RCA audio cables, so you need one of those for each speaker, but I am not even sure if that will work with the Z506 speakers. Those are made for use with a computer surround sound, not console or TV connections. I think for TV you will be limited to stereo sound.

From the Logitech support site: "upports multiple connection options. Use your computer sound card to connect via six-channel direct inputs and enjoy true surround sound or connect other devices via either the 3.5mm or RCA inputs, creating 3D stereo surround sound from two channel sources." Since you have "other devices", you will only get stereo from those speakers.

If you want 5.1 sound form the TV, get a 5.1 receiver and speakers or powered speaker system designed for use with a TV. By the time you are done with buying adapters, cables, converter, the cost will be the same as trying to use the speakers, and will actually work. Something like this setup http://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/home-theater/home-theater-systems/ht-j4500-home-theater-system-ht-j4500-za/?cid=pla-ecom-mul-27,000,002

Solution