Status
Not open for further replies.

Muneeb_infms

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Greetings
Well, I have come to this forum to find solutions to my quite tricky problem. I do want to buy a laptop for doing CAD, video editing and gaming but mainly Cad. I have previously worked on 3ds max and now would like to try solidworks but I don't know how much intensive application its going to be. So I have to choose between gtx or a quadro laptop, preferably gtx 970m and gtx 980m. As I am not a professional I would not like to go for the costly quadro laptops and honestly, those laptops are bulky and look boring.

As gtx cards can do CAD, the quadros obviously are better, but the question is- do I need them? So I need help to find my requirements so I get the right thing.

I am using solid works to do projects like , making go carts and engines, simulating workloads etc
There are almost no benchmarks comparing these graphics cards so all help would be appreciated and I will answer any questions for you to help me answer the question.

There is a predator 15 with 970m and a rog g751 980m that are available to me

Thank you
Muneeb

P.S. : Recently found out that people are of the opinion that the gtx cards are more powerful but quadros are better at rendering, I don't think I will be rendering much but I could be wrong.

SoNic67

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012

vulcangrey

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Read more here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2392232/quadro-gtx-workstation-graphics-card-comparison-testing-results-work-progress.html

Basically the Quadro cards are really much better, they have better drivers that allow CAD type OpenGL programs like SolidWorks and Maya to use all their abilities.

The GTX cards do horribly with OpenGL applications like SolidWorks and Maya.

The fastest GTX card in the world will not perform better than a cheap Quadro K620 or K610M, in OpenGL.

But the Quadro's don't really work for gaming...

Muneeb_infms

Commendable
May 23, 2016

I agree that a desktop would be better but I need mobility, and believe me I have done pretty impressive things without any dedicated gpu ( as a beginner) which I thought would be impossible, so if I could get my gaming laptop and do the little cad I know, it would be enough. As for you saying the quadro did better than your gtx , you might have been doing some serious thing.

The question still remains how serious cad will gtx cards allow

Muneeb

Muneeb_infms

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Well there is this thing I saw earlier and this makes things a hell lot confusing

The url-
https://youtu.be/He4cG3jx1Os

The video shows rhe specviewperf 12 bench marks comparing gtx980m with quadro k5100

Viewset________gtx980m______k5100m

Catia-04________38.74__________64.60
Creo01_________27.66__________49.01
Energy-01______5.18___________2.18
Maya-04________34.7___________49.38
Medical-01______23.75__________18.38
Snx-02___________4.70___________85.30
Sw-03___________41.60__________34.80

Muneeb

SoNic67

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
You are wasting your money, with that gaming computer, that's all. If you must, you can get a laptop from the professional line from a used source - usually former business lease programs. Less headaches in the future.
Besides my workhorse Dell T3500 with a 6/12 core Xeon and 24GB or RAM, I have bought (at different times) 5 different generations of Dell Latitude with nvidia Quadro cards and never had an issue with them - for example Dell M4400 with a quad T9900, Dell E6420 with a i7-2760QM. I see often on forums complains from gaming laptop users used in pro apps.

vulcangrey

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
benchmarks mean next to nothing for CAD applications when comparing a video game DirectX card to a professional OpenGL card like a Quadro. Sure the video game card can rotate an object in a view, or it can shade an scene or it can render textures... But that is not all that you need in a CAD video card.

The GTX cards cannot do hardware anti-aliasing in SolidWorks. The GTX card cannot overlay planes, which programs like SolidWorks and Maya use often. The GTX cannot have more than a few windows open at a time, where Quadro cards are only limited by frame buffer ram. The GTX cards cannot do the "Realview" shading in SolidWorks.

Using a GTX card in Maya will not work with many of the programs best features. The 3D Paint brush and sculpting tool will leave a red smear all over the screen with a GTX card, because they don't support overlay planes.

Here are some examples of what a GTX (DirectX card) cannot do that a Quadro (OpenGL) card can do.

I just looked up the current version of Maya, and they said this about using a DirectX11 card like a GTX with Maya. basically the GTX type card is very slow at OpenGL, and if you use their Viewport2.0 to render in DirectX 11, then you won't be able to use these features...

The following features are not supported in Viewport 2.0, and do not function with HLSL shaders when using the DirectX rendering engine.

Hair
Fur
Fluids
nMesh (cloth)
Particles
Paint effects
Hierarchical subdivision surfaces
Active stereoscopic cameras
Light linking

That alone makes a GTX card almost useless for an OpenGL program like Maya, but then Solidworks is also an OpenGL program.

Muneeb_infms

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Again: I will be just making models and simulating them and putting them through a CNC.

And searching the internet, people mostly say, for non-professional use the quadros are not worth it.

Its usually the real view thats not supported for Gtxs in solidworks but there are workarounds.

The specviewperf 12 benchmark even shows that solidworks works better with 980m than k5100m which is a good quadro.
Although not the maya but then I am not looking for good final renders.

I am looking for the fine line that sets apart these two cards-
Selecting a quadro would mean compromising mobility and shelling out more money .

And if I were to realize that the quadro was unnecessary, it would not do good.

Hope my questions will be cleared.

Cheers,
Muneeb

ComTech Central LLC

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
I have seen countless posts explaining different specs on GTX vs. Quadro.
It all comes down to precision visual output/representation. Don't get into defining rendering.
Architecture and instruction(driver) power the price and performance of a Quadro.
They are the best for CAD, period. Why ask why? A true CAD guy doesn't care about cores and
floating points.
He wants to see the complex arc/shape he just created with no stilts. And then he needs to rotate it.
You want to work with .01mm, then buy a Quadro.

Polaris83

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
My friend from my side I will recommend you to buy gaming laptop as in my side I have both quadro and gtx and I use 3d max so in viewport work the quadro is a beast but when it came to render it's slower than the gtx also later when I entered the gaming design with unreal engine with the quadro the quality was so bad as I wasn't able to test my game but when I moved to gtx everything changed to a better side
Let me tell you this in the big companies they are using quadro cards for modeling but when it came to render they have their own rendering Farm and about your question about gaming also here I tried both in my rig and no need to talk so much as of course the winner is gtx with more than 60%
So my friend go to gtx and don't get confused by what people say

It depends on your budget if you can afford a quadrino card. I have used 3ds max using a geforce card, a very low end one (gt 650m) and I was able to model quite well. But it is not very good at rendering as it can take some time to do it if it is complex.
If this is done for work then I would get a quadrino card. If this is for learning or doing personal projects then a gtx card can be used.

jasperyui

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

Does gtx 1060 works well in 3ds max? Or should I go for 1070?

sicily428

Notable
May 26, 2017

quadros are better for solidworks

here some benchmarks with SPECviewperf12
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf2nJSjSm0E"][/video]

gtx1060-png.146674

specview-png.146406

M1200
m1200-png.146678

M2200
m2200-png.146676

P3000 mobile
upload_2017-6-20_18-19-30-png.146675

P4000 mobile
benchmark-png.146571

P5000 mobile
upload_2017-6-18_15-47-14-png.146607

Can you game on a Quadro M6000? Is it that much better than a Titan XP? Only one way to find out...
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC_sx6A5Wko"][/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.