Quickly... Best digital camera under £50?

PlymouthJoseph

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Okay, my father-in-law is looking for a good Digital Camera for father's day (Which is on the 18th here in the UK) and I want a quick and simple answer. Which is the best camera I can buy him for around £50?

I know next to nothing about cameras, I need all the advice possible and a simple answer would be nice.

Many thanks

- Joe

Solution
Still likely better than a cheap point and shoot. Only advantage they have is a typically better optical zoom. I would guess the S5 has a decent CCD.

I am just now replacing my phone from 2012? HTC One X+ (Not the HTC One) Thing is still amazing for close up photos. Supposedly what I am getting has one of the better cameras on the market, but I am mostly getting it for a new version of Android, been stuck on 4.2 thanks to the provider not allowing developers access to their modem drivers.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Probably some off the shelf smart phone, maybe a used Nokia Lumia 920? Discrete digital cameras don't have a huge market so their quality has been dwindling. At the price you are looking at, your best bet is to head to the nearest retail store and see what they have. In the US such cameras start around $70.

PlymouthJoseph

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Thank you for your input. I liked your idea of getting a smartphone with a really good camera, so I managed to get my hands on a used Nokia Lumia 1020. I've told him the photo capabilities of this phone and he is amazed with it.
He is over the moon with it, although he doesn't like the Windows software.

Thank you for your help, and sorry for taking so long to reply.

- Joe

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Glad I was able to help.

I can recall taking pictures in school with a floppy disk digital camera. When I look at those now I just think, huh, we considered those pretty good at the time. Then the point and shoot cameras went to SD cards, and now they are almost gone.

My parents still stick to their Canon branded cameras, even though their phones are much better cameras at this point.

PlymouthJoseph

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

Well... that depends on the phone. Like, my Galaxy S5's camera is kinda shit. It's just a pain I cannot afford a new phone because I don't like to go on contact.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Still likely better than a cheap point and shoot. Only advantage they have is a typically better optical zoom. I would guess the S5 has a decent CCD.

I am just now replacing my phone from 2012? HTC One X+ (Not the HTC One) Thing is still amazing for close up photos. Supposedly what I am getting has one of the better cameras on the market, but I am mostly getting it for a new version of Android, been stuck on 4.2 thanks to the provider not allowing developers access to their modem drivers.

Solution