realtek hd audio coaxial s/pdif to receiver issues

Jerry Martinez

Estimable
Apr 25, 2014
so i hooked up a good coaxial cable (its shielded) to hook up my pc to my panasonic SA-HT40 and it works perfect for music ect.. but all of a sudden while watching videos it will randomly click/pop (the speakers not the receiver) and the sound cuts out for about a second or 2 its really really annoying. as far as i know it only happens during videos because i tested a whole bunch of music for about 30-40 minuets trying to decide on what sample rate to output which i chose 48k hz over 98k hz because it allows me to enable 5.1 outside of dvd/blu-rays. should i drop the sample rate down to 44.1k hz or bring it up to 98 if that even makes a difference?

Solution
well.. i'm not using spdif output... i use a dvi-to-hdmi cable from my video card as my output since i use the hdmi passthrough of the receiver to my screen but i have my system set to 192,000 24bit and it sound great.

i'm not sure what you mean by "allows me to enable 5.1 outside of dvd/bluerays". spdif output supports compressed 5.1 sound if its in DDL format (and one other format.. cant think of it off the top of my head) and only supports uncompressed (such as PCM) for 2.0/2.1 sound. even via spdif you should be able to play most games in 5.1 but windows and most of the web is all 2.0/2.1 sound only.

when your soundcard is using DDL it automatically converts any audio sources to 48,000khz 16 bit such as audio from games and...
well.. i'm not using spdif output... i use a dvi-to-hdmi cable from my video card as my output since i use the hdmi passthrough of the receiver to my screen but i have my system set to 192,000 24bit and it sound great.

i'm not sure what you mean by "allows me to enable 5.1 outside of dvd/bluerays". spdif output supports compressed 5.1 sound if its in DDL format (and one other format.. cant think of it off the top of my head) and only supports uncompressed (such as PCM) for 2.0/2.1 sound. even via spdif you should be able to play most games in 5.1 but windows and most of the web is all 2.0/2.1 sound only.

when your soundcard is using DDL it automatically converts any audio sources to 48,000khz 16 bit such as audio from games and movies. if you are listening in stereo though... having your sound set to this low for the 2.0 sound too would be a bit lower quality than you could be getting. again, if you can i'd suggest hdmi/dvi-d out.

if you use a single monitor or tv for all your sources and if your receiver has hdmi passthrough for video then running hdmi (either dvi or hdmi output from your video card) is likely a better way to hook up (better quality, more supported formats)

as far as speaker popping issues are concerned...
*check to make sure all of your connections are tight and not loose. (however since it only does this during movies makes me think this isnt the case)
*make sure the speaker wire is away from power wires and other distortions. (again, since its only on movies i dont think this is an issue)
*sometimes popping occurs when household appliances when washers kick on unless you are on a ups (again, dont think this is an issue)
*sometimes this is caused by the amplifier clipping (what volume do you run the movies at? anything abnormally high?)
*sometimes issues can occur with a ground loop >link for info< (but you would have already heard buzzing/crackling already on most things)
*some receivers pop and crack when swapping between sources or between file types. for example if your computer is outputting 2.0/2.1 PCM (uncompressed) but then needs to swap to 5.1 compressed DDL for movies it could cause a pop. as for random pops here and there throughout the movie it could be something wrong with your receiver but more testing would need to be done to isolate that. (try using a different input on the receiver if possible and/or a dvi/hdmi output from your pc if possible, also check if other devices connected seem to do this if possible)
*sometimes pops occur from voltage inconsitances such as power spikes if not on a power conditioner or ups (though doubt its this since you would have heard it on other sounds)

Solution