Reciver only has RCA output for sub but i only have wires?

Skauxxie

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Hi,

i have an old sub (idk how old it really is) that has speaker wires coming from it, theres no volume knob or jacks, its just a wire coming out from it. now i have the Yamaha V663 and on it there is PRE OUT with subwoofer 1 and 2. I have connected the surround speakers Front A, Center, surround, but not surround back with all speaker wires, the subwoofer though requires a rca connection and i dont have that on my sub, is there any way in which i can make the sub i have now work with the receiver. (i stripped the wires and connected a rca connection to it then plugged it in the subwoofer 1, but theres no output from the receiver.)

any help will greatly be appreciated! Thank you

kanewolf

Splendid
You have to add an amplifier. The Yamaha supports a powered sub, you have an un-powered sub. The part that is missing is an amplifier. That is what converts the RCA signal to a two wire, speaker compatible signal.

Skauxxie

Estimable
Jan 19, 2016
Sorry im still new to this, the amplifier you're talking about is a Subwoofer Plate Amplifier right? and i need to take apart my sub to install it.

kanewolf

Splendid
Not specifically a plate amplifier. That is just the way that powered subs implement it. Any amplifier could work, but the problem is that a standalone high power amplifier is going to be fairly expensive. Go on E-Bay and search for "audio amplifier". Then disregard ALL the car audio amps because getting sufficient 12VDC for them is impractical. You CAN do what you want, but buying a new powered sub is more practical.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fluffy4000 Streaming Video & TVs 2
J Streaming Video & TVs 1
Jongwell Streaming Video & TVs 5
reble Streaming Video & TVs 3
inpitlane Streaming Video & TVs 0
C Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 2
U Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
E Streaming Video & TVs 1
T Streaming Video & TVs 2