thenoobpunisher

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
I'm about to finish putting together my first PC build and currently do not have antivirus software for it yet. Can I get some recommendations for what's best on Windows 7 for 2015 so far? I have McAfee on my older desktop, which tended to slow it down, but I'm thinking of getting something different.

I'm fine with having to pay for quality, by the way.

Rony4297

Estimable
Feb 26, 2015

Ok then waht is your OS. If it is Windows 8 or 8.1 then you doesnt need a third party anti malware software.You can get best protection from windows defender.If you have windows 7 then you need to download something called microsoft essential utilities(same as windows defender)

wolffex

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
try 360 total security, its very easy to use and its free. It's also gotten very positive reviews overall. I have tried everything and this is the easiest AV I have ever used that actual is safe and detects threats. Its smooth and doesn't take up resources

thenoobpunisher

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013

I'm looking at purchasing Bitdefender. Would it be safe if I download a digital copy on the internet and move it to the new PC using a flash drive?

DrPseudo

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

I use Avast 2015 FREE and Malwarebytes Premium (Free works great too) and PeerBlock with Paid Iblocklist added to PeerBlock (Free and Open Source) And I use Avast VPN for Private surfing of the internet plus add ons on Firefox (Adblock Plus<Free) and (No Script)... If I were you the only thing I would pay for is the added Iblocklist add on for Free PeerBlock which is like 10$ a year...Oh, and later you might want to check on a VPN, HideMyAss is Good but I use Avast it is based on Quality and Price with me (60$ a year)... I will NEVER PAY for another Anti Virus again... Try 1 thing at a time and see if it Bogs you down... You may also have unnecessary programs running in the background... But if you are Bogging with just a few apps running you Need to do a serious check on some Stuff... My CPU is running at about 3% and RAM is about 33%...I have about 27 tabs open in Firefox and have 12 other Apps open and that is Through my VPN (800 Miles Away)... My experience 15+ years...

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Debatable

I would prefer a paid security that doesn't force you to pay 60$ + a year but rather force me to pay for once of a lifetime

DrPseudo

Estimable
Jun 2, 2015

You are obviously going to do what you want because you think it is best... I have been from one end of the internet to the other and all points in between... I have never had a problem whatsoever using Avast FREE... Look for my post with the security I do use... Of course everyone will take your money for something you may not even need but I have done my research and have found that what I use and what I use them for has protected me thus far... FYI; 15+ years Exp... If for any reason I felt that I was not getting adequate protection, I would not hesitate to Pay for something that was necessary... Please feel free to Privately Email me if you feel I can assist you in anyway...
Here is what I use for a total of 70$ a year, I copied this from the post I sent for the Noob...
I use Avast 2015 FREE and Malwarebytes Premium (Free works great too) and PeerBlock with Paid Iblocklist added to PeerBlock (Free and Open Source) And I use Avast VPN for Private surfing of the internet plus add ons on Firefox (Adblock Plus<Free) and (No Script)... If I were you the only thing I would pay for is the added Iblocklist add on for Free PeerBlock which is like 10$ a year...Oh, and later you might want to check on a VPN, HideMyAss is Good but I use Avast it is based on Quality and Price with me (60$ a year)... I will NEVER PAY for another Anti Virus again... Try 1 thing at a time and see if it Bogs you down... You may also have unnecessary programs running in the background... But if you are Bogging with just a few apps running you Need to do a serious check on some Stuff... My CPU is running at about 3% and RAM is about 33%...I have about 27 tabs open in Firefox and have 12 other Apps open and that is Through my VPN (800 Miles Away)... My experience 15+ years... (This is Not just trying to save a Buck it's Research and Experience and not being Foolish with Unnecessary spending)