Replacing a HDD with an SSD in a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choolio123

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
Hi. Do my parents have two oldish laptops that are running Vista and 7 and I was wondering if I could put an SSD (2.5") to replace their current 2.5" HDDs. They have their OSes all set so I was wondering if this would work. Would there be any issues with going from a HDD to an SSD? Thanks a ton!

RealBeast

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
If their laptops use SATA HDD connectors (not IDE, but they are probably SATA if they came with Windows 7 and Vista), you could clone their HDDs to the SSDs with a cloning program, such as EASEUS Todo Backup or a number of others. But I strongly suggest that you first backup all data and have installation disks available in case things go wrong as they sometimes do.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
If their laptops use SATA HDD connectors (not IDE, but they are probably SATA if they came with Windows 7 and Vista), you could clone their HDDs to the SSDs with a cloning program, such as EASEUS Todo Backup or a number of others. But I strongly suggest that you first backup all data and have installation disks available in case things go wrong as they sometimes do.

Choolio123

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
Awesome. Thank you so much for this reply. For some reason it just told me about your reply to this thread but I will most likely do this to breath some new life into their laptops! Thanks very much!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
IDE switched to SATA with Vista. I've upgrade SSD's about 3 times and I cloned the drives then replaced and had no problems. The first I purchased an Acer AS8950G which had a 750 GB HD (4 years ago) and had a 2nd drive bay. I purchased a SSD kit that had a 150 GB SSD and a kit(Acronis cloning software and an external USB drive case). I put the SSD in the external case and ran the cloning software. At first I had a problem and I realized the maybe the problem was that I was using the USB 3 drive and when I moved it to USB 2 it worked. It completely successfully and i just popped the cloned drive in and it booted. I then did id again with a bigger SSD. I went SSD to SSD 150 to 250 GB and it was successful. I also did it to the 750 hd ti a 1 TB drive. Most recently is did it on my Alienware 18 as I went for 256 GB SSD to 1 TB SSD. I used a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB ssd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Laptop General Discussion 10
Liutauras Laptop General Discussion 6
L Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 1
L Laptop General Discussion 4
R Laptop General Discussion 0
alphacoyle Laptop General Discussion 3
O Laptop General Discussion 0
sirbebop Laptop General Discussion 1