Report: AT&T Must Spend $5 Billion to Catch Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Bwahaha! I knew AT&T and Verizon had different budgets when it came to infrastructure, but to see that much of a difference surprised me. I've been waiting for an article with these numbers!

Still rockin' my Eris, never lookin' back. :D

FunYun

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
That is exactly what I expected. AT&T has shitty service because they don't keep up with demand. They simply sell more planes then they can service and blame the customers for using what they bought.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
@FunYun "They simply sell more planes then they can service and blame the customers for using what they bought."

Amen, brudduh!

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I just dropped my ATT Dish Network package and plan to drop the landline and switch internet provider soon. I sensed this coming as soon as SBC bought out PacBell (and other baby Bells) and then bought out ATT.

Time to break them up again ... this time, though, they will be forced to do it on their own accord.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Look at all these baby bells fighting over each other to become a monopoly again. At&t just put it's eggs in the wrong basket when it tried to take over all the analog land lines.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I'd rather they improve on Internet than cellphone networks. At least there would be a North American country to have good Internet like in Asia...

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
This doesn't really surprise me very much.

I am really glad I am on Verizon. My land line internet has been out all day, so I have my Droid tethered to my computer to get me on the net. Great 3G service where I'm at on Verizon, AT&T doesn't even have 3G here... Not that it would matter since you aren't allowed to tether anyway.

Droid on Verizon. Better phone on a better network than anything AT&T can offer.

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Are there any numbers for their internet? I like Verizon for right now because they are doing their best to install fios and avoid cap limits.

Are there any figures for spending on internet infrastructure?

G

Abrahm, I tether with my ATT cell all the time, by bluetooth or cable with just a simple Samsung Eternity. Where i live i'm not on 3g, but Verizon doesn't work here either so no loss. Still faster than US cellular tethering though.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
AT&T rules! They have vastly superior technology for voice and data compared to Verizon. Verizon's 3G is considerably slower than AT&T's HSPA technology. AT&T has more voice coverage in the USA than any other carrier. It's too bad that the FCC made the new AT&T give up 20 something markets when the merger took place, even though they have no business making such a demand. A cell phone company has every right to have coverage in every single USA market if it wants to. There is no law preventing this.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Most of where I am at, Verizon doesn't work quite as well. In most places I get 2 bars and rarely hit peak connection speeds. With Sprint, I had signal practically everywhere I went and never lost a call (during their bleeding customer base era). With ATT I have full bars in most places and for some reason I rarely lose 3G coverage. Only strange thing I can say for ATT that most experience in the area is that signal significantly drops when going inside a large building (like a warehouse or corporate building). It just goes to show you that it's where your carrier's technology is in place rather than being able to rate a carrier overall as being great no matter where you are.

CChick

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]AT&T rules! They have vastly superior technology for voice and data compared to Verizon. Verizon's 3G is considerably slower than AT&T's HSPA technology. AT&T has more voice coverage in the USA than any other carrier. It's too bad that the FCC made the new AT&T give up 20 something markets when the merger took place, even though they have no business making such a demand. A cell phone company has every right to have coverage in every single USA market if it wants to. There is no law preventing this.[/citation]

What is the point of Superior Technology when it doesnt even work ?

Yeah I have a Ferrari F430 Challenge, but I got no gas !

AT&T is garbage, period.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If AT&T's sales rep that I purchased my first phone from didn't try to f*ck me the second day I had the service, I would really care about AT&T. AT&T will get what they deserve and I am sure of that. And I admit that i was a fool for not cancelling my contract by the third day. When you purchase an AT&T phone, you can get a FULL refund within 3 days of purchase of contract.

Plus a lot of u have become too dependant on cel phones. Why does everyone on earth need one now. Look how much money you are _literally_ shoveling into a furnace by having all your overpriced data plans and actually the voice service shouldn't cost as much as it does. $40/mo for voice is sh!t, people. No wonder this country has a huge credit card debt problem. People are very foolish with their money.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]CChick[/nom]What is the point of Superior Technology when it doesnt even work ?Yeah I have a Ferrari F430 Challenge, but I got no gas ! AT&T is garbage, period.[/citation]
Sounds like someone needs a nap and a diper change.. I have never once had a problem with my ATT service.. So using your analogy, I have a Ferrari F430 with an endless gas tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.