Solved! Required computing power for HTPC?

vimnjicki

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Hello,

What is the minimum computer system needed to replace my fios cable box? I dont want to record any programs nor use a TV card. Just receive the signal from the internet and display it via my receiver/HDMI to my 46 inch HDTV in as high a resolution as it is available, you know, from the website. My TV can display 1080p, as can my receiver. I just want the computer to be as capable as the rest of the system. I hope my question is clear. Thank you

Solution
For a HTPC you really don't need much. A dual core processor will work as will any of the newer I3, I5, I7 processors.
For the Graphics card my ATI X1950 worked but for BluRay you'll want an 8 or 9 series Gforce, a HD 4000 or 5000 series ATI card or a Intel G45b or above.(Make sure it has a HDMI or DVI output.
1-2 gb ram as well.
Bottom line is find an old computer upgrade the video card and memory.

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
For a HTPC you really don't need much. A dual core processor will work as will any of the newer I3, I5, I7 processors.
For the Graphics card my ATI X1950 worked but for BluRay you'll want an 8 or 9 series Gforce, a HD 4000 or 5000 series ATI card or a Intel G45b or above.(Make sure it has a HDMI or DVI output.
1-2 gb ram as well.
Bottom line is find an old computer upgrade the video card and memory.

Solution

vimnjicki

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
Thanks, mhelm, for your quick, concise and relatively complete reply. I guess I'll go shopping and check back with y'all to make sure I have what I need. Thanks again.