RRB3143

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I have a ball park question.
My niece has a ASUS K52F Notebook that had the blue screen of death. I tried using the "Test Disc Livecd" off the Hirens Disc to use to fix the corrupted partitions it showed up. I didn't want to take the chance on deleting the partition sense I didn't quit understand how the program worked. So I opted out of using that program and I found a boot disc to use online that I burned to a disc. I put it in and I was able to get her recovery partition to kick in and start running to install her OS.
1. Before adding any updates I installed MSE and I ran the update and did a full scan. But the scan has been running for the past 2 1/2 hours and still is only half way there. And its already scanned 632849 files already.
2. Could the scan be actually scanning the other partitions that were still corrupted that may still be on the HHD.? Or is it normal for it to be scanning for so long with so many files for it being just being a fresh copy of windows on the machine?
3. Before I installed MSE, I burned a backup of her laptop which said it would take 5 DVD.s, which it only needed 4 of them. I did the same thing when I bought my Toshiba, and it said it needed 4 disc but only needed 3, and when I went to use them for the first time to put a fresh copy on it, when it had the third disc in and it then opened the disc door and said to put in the next disc and hit next, which I didn't have the 4th disc sense it didn't use the 4th doing the backup. So I just reclosed the door and it used the third disc more and it worked.
4. I would like to know if you think the backup disc I made will work sense it said I had corrupted partitions using the "Test Disc Livecd".? Cause I would like to use the "Nuke" program off the Hirens disc to wipe out all partitions and use the recovery disc to reinstall the OS again. I know it will be time consuming with letting the install go thru again but I feel with how long the MSE is running for that there must me some other partitions that its scanning also maybe...
5. Any advise would be great to hear if it would be wise to Nuke the laptop and reinstall from the back up disc I already burned???

Solution
Do you have any network storage drives, or attached external USB drives? It could be scanning that.
Unless the files were deleted during the re-install, they would all be there and need to be scanned.
If you have other partitions on the drive, then yes, all those files will be scanned.
Depending on the hardware, a full scan can take quite some time.

I'm not familiar with that backup software. Can't help you there. But if you trust the backup, it should be fine.

2x4b

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Do you have any network storage drives, or attached external USB drives? It could be scanning that.
Unless the files were deleted during the re-install, they would all be there and need to be scanned.
If you have other partitions on the drive, then yes, all those files will be scanned.
Depending on the hardware, a full scan can take quite some time.

I'm not familiar with that backup software. Can't help you there. But if you trust the backup, it should be fine.

Solution

RRB3143

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
No, I don't have the internet connected nor do I have any USB drives attached. Thanks for the feedback. I use this Hirens Disc and used a program off it to delete all partitions, so when I did it on my laptop it lets me put in my recovery disc and it makes a fresh partition to install on..