Rumor: Microsoft Revealing Its Own Tablet Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
An MS tablet is what I'm waiting for. The iPad I have is useless (it was given to me) unless you play a lot of games.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]thearm[/nom]An MS tablet is what I'm waiting for. The iPad I have is useless (it was given to me) unless you play a lot of games.[/citation]
Let me guess troll, your going to run a fortune 500 company with your Microbloat tablet or save the world. Troll alert for this hack.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Something tells me that MS will either not charge themselves for the OS, and thus violate some anti competition clause with their partners, or else take the other extreme and charge themselves retail price for their own OS and price their own tablet out of the market :)

For tablets it is x86 or nothing. A cheap Atom tablet may not run my desktop applications well, but I would rather them run slowly than not at all.

... anyone see the Anandtech review of the Acer W700? Now that is something to get excited about :D

G

Oh lord, iPad mini? ....You mean...an iPod Touch? Are they taking a step back here? I'm excited to see the new products from MS and Asus.....Tablets all over the place

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Let me guess troll, your going to run a fortune 500 company with your Microbloat tablet or save the world. Troll alert for this hack.[/citation]

The iPad is essentially useless in small and medium sized buisnesses. Unless you have a cloud infrastructure to deliver real applications to the iPad (a la Xen Desktop) the iPad is reduced to a media consumption device / toy.

Setup a local exchange client then attach to a .pst, work on an access database, add a network printer, then enable network sharing and backups. When the user has problems ask their IT department to remote in and help out. Most of these are not possible on an iPad, and the ones that are possible are a pain in the ass to setup and administer.

So I ask you who's trolling whom?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This has been said over and over, but each time it never materialized. Microsoft did not build its own PC, it did not build its own phone and it will most likely not build its own tablet.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
I heard MS's tablet doesn't have a home button, but one that says "Ctrl Alt Delete"

:p

on a serious note are there any apps for it?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]For tablets it is x86 or nothing. A cheap Atom tablet may not run my desktop applications well, but I would rather them run slowly than not at all....[/citation]

Because you really want to run desktop applications designed for mouse&keyboard on a 7"-10" touchscreen..... NOT.

Tablets need purpose made software.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
t'would be funner knowing they are making their own SoC for it which if the tablet isn't shit, and IS Xbox Live compatible, that their long term strategy is pushing their mobile strategy a little farther.. although at a snails page.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Because you really want to run desktop applications designed for mouse&keyboard on a 7"-10" touchscreen..... NOT.Tablets need purpose made software.[/citation]
sure, it is what I do on my netbook all the time, and that thing is ~3 years old now and runs win8 RP very well with it's 2GB of ram, 1.6GHz Atom, and crappy touch screen. A newer tablet that has a dock for a keyboard and mouse would be the perfect work companion out in the warehouse, and in my office.
x86 is the difference between a toy like the iPad or an android tablet, and a functional device for work (and play). In fact, if ASUS were to re-release the netbook I currently have, but with a modern Atom CPU and a slightly higher res screen (damn Win8 requirement!) I would probably buy the exact same thing again, 3 year old fat form factor and all.

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I am already drooling over a Windows 8 Tablet. Finally a tablet that I can stand.
And it may be affordable like the kindle!?

Check and Mate for me.

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
[citation][nom]slabbo[/nom]I heard MS's tablet doesn't have a home button, but one that says "Ctrl Alt Delete"on a serious note are there any apps for it?[/citation]

They are called Applications on Windows bro. lol :)

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I think its a good move for MS, the ipads are quite limited in what they can do, hopefully MS will deliver a good product to raise the standard

Status
Not open for further replies.