Samsung 55KS8000 with onkyo tx nr646

bobbee25

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
3 issues.

1. Connecting to Samsung HDMI ARC, all components connect via hdmi to Onkyo, use Onkyo to switch roku etc
On my previous Samsung Plasma, pushing the button to switch caused an almost immediate switch, with this tv there a definite lag.

2. Previously changing the volume would be indicated on the screen, regardless the device, now it shows when using the tv, but with Roku it doesn't, The volume does change as indicated on the
Onkyo, just not on the screen as it previously did.

3. If I set the Roku at 4k uhd hdr every few minutes We get a momentary black screen.I ordered some better hdmi cables and hope that it is it or is there a setting required on the Samsung ?

suggests appreciated.

Solution
Screen blanking problem resolved. Turned off the HDMI UHD on the Samsung TV.
HDMI UHD Color set to Off
supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:2:0 input signals,
while an HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to On
supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 input signals.
1. Lag in HDMI switching is normal. It can take a while for the display to re-lock. My projector set up has a lag of between 7-10 seconds.
2. Not sure what you mean by "using the TV". If you change volume on the Onkyo you don't get the volume indication on screen. Check the menu of the Onkyo. It may need to be turned on. For myself I would leave it off.
3. Did you try connecting the Roku directly to the TV with a short cable? That would indicate that the new cable might help. You might post your problem on the AVS forum. Someone there likely has a similar combination.

bobbee25

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
Still an issue with number 3.
If I connect the roku premier+ directly to the tv and set it for 4k UHD it works ok,
BUT when it is set to 4K UHD HDR, the shows play ok except every few minutes we get a quick, momentary flash of a black screen.
Reading both the tv and roku specs, seems all are met.

bobbee25

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2016
Screen blanking problem resolved. Turned off the HDMI UHD on the Samsung TV.
HDMI UHD Color set to Off
supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:2:0 input signals,
while an HDMI connection with HDMI UHD Color set to On
supports up to UHD 50P/60P 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 input signals.

Solution