Science Project Causes Bomb Scare, Evacuation

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
I remember being a kid and downstairs in my friends basement doing all kinds of science experiments...we'd find whatever we could and start pouring stuff together to see what happened.

Nothing ever did...but there was always tomorrow.

We did take a paperclip and wire it to a plug...now THAT was interesting...a direct short across a 120v, 15 amp circuit...I can still remember the flash of light...it was SOOOO COOOOLLL!!!!

snowgoer1998

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
[citation][nom]El_Capitan[/nom]Well, that's one way to come out of the closet. Good for you, bro![/citation]

lmao...hmmm...I may have chosen my words poorly...I even proof read, and still didn't pick up on that one...

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
It was a science fair? How dare the child bring in a science project! What were they expecting? Wires, plastic bottles, batteries...these are the main components of a science project...Next up, "14 year old arrested on baseball field for wielding a baseball bat, authorities distraught!"

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]GreatSaltedOne[/nom]When I was a kid it was very common for my brother to cook up high explosives and it was just passed off as "boys being boys." It is sad that part of American life has been completely destroyed by fear.[/citation]

One could also blame Columbine. I'd agree with you too since when I was in high school I knew plenty of people who were either reading about or dabbling a little bit with creating flammables. They were doing it for just experiment, not to ever use it to harm anyone or damage property either deliberately or accidentally.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]victomofreality[/nom]Alright so doing your homework is against the schools policies? Or they're of the belief that it herisy to detect movement with something other then your eyes? And what did the parents do wrong in all of this to need councelling? OMFG I'm glad I'm not American![/citation]

I'm glad you aren't either, you can stay where you are. We don't need more immigrants.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Is it just me, or has there been an explosion (pun intended) in the number of these false bomb reports over the last few days?

I recall seeing 3 just from Tom's.

americanbrian

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I'm glad you aren't either, you can stay where you are. We don't need more immigrants.[/citation]

This is exactly why the kid was suspected. He obviously must "look foreign" if you catch my drift. Can't be having our good ol' boys apologising to no *iggers, yell@s, we7backs, n1ps or damn muslimists now can we....[sarcasm/irony]

Honestly dude, you are such a douche. (thats french for shower)

G

"According Sign On San Diego, the student will not be prosecuted, but authorities recommended that he and his parents get counseling. The student violated school policies, but there was no criminal intent, Luque said."

get counseling for what? being creative and having an imaginative outlook in school? this is the kind of event that causes students to stop trying to think outside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.