SD Storage Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
Samsung J72016 SM-J7108
Settings - Storage - Detail - Storage Settings - Portable storage [either mount or unmount] thats all?
There are no 3dots and there does not seem any capacity to transfer any files at all to SD card or to make it the storage bank.

That just means that the device you are trying to make the changes on can't do it. It may well have been restricted by the manufacturer.

Now while you wouldn't then be able to move apps to the card, you can still free up space by moving things like photos, videos, music, etc. This can be done either through a file manager app (the phone may have one already, or you may need to install one). However, they tend to have limitations of how many files they can move at a time. A way around that is to connect the phone to a computer via USB cord, (with the card still in the phone) and move the files you want from the phone to an empty folder on the computer. Then, once on the computer, you can move or copy them over to the SD card via that same USB cord connection. Doing it this way allows you to move large amounts of files all at the same time. It gives you the opportunity to back up those files to a computer.

Once that is all done, not matter which way you do it, you would then need to make some changes in the "Settings" of specific apps. Like say the "Camera" for example. If you wanted it to save all future photos taken to the SD card, you would have to change that apps "Settings" to save to the card rather than to the phone. The same would be done in all apps that you are getting or creating new files through.

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your prompt attention to my concern, however I find it highly unusual that provision is given for additional capacity by means of an SD card and then does not provide the settings to do so.
As you are aware what you have suggested is very cumbersome and requires a PC to follow through.
Hopefully, there is a less cumbersome and more convenient answer to the problem.
Would be great to hear from other J7 2016 users.

Alas, the SD card, on that device, is capable of handling/holding 'files' just not apps. And while it may not make sense, sadly they do make such restrictions to many devices.

As I also mentioned, you can use the file manager app on the phone to move files (or install one if your device didn't come with one). This, again, will allow the moving of files to the card but not apps.

The only way around it, that I know of, requires rooting the device. Which is not something I personally recommend as it can damage if not brick the device. Should you wish to try however, that is up to you.

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

As I said before, you can't move apps to the SD card on that device. Not unless the app you are trying to move has the option to move it to the card within the phones "Settings" then "Apps". If it doesn't, it can't run from the card.

That app will only help you move other files, not apps, to the SD card. How that particular apps works, I can't answer as I don't have that one. You would have to check with the creators if you have any issues figuring out how to work it.

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks a million but what a bummer, borders on false product promotion.
16gb now at 88% loaded ------with SD option that you can't transfer to.
Had of known that I wouldn't have purchased.
Oh well that's life, stuck with the problem though at 81 I suppose it's amazing I can use it.
Thanks
Roy

masaloi

Estimable
Feb 1, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.