Service to get an email like craigslist

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Please move this thread in the appropriate forum, this one was the best alternative to something alike general internet usage I could find.

I've just create and important account on a site not having private messaging service and I should leave a contact information on my profile. The only time I left an email address public was by mistake and I try to have it removed from search engines as much as possible ; done to an appreciative amount.

So I don't want to directly leave my address on the account I'm referring to but I'd like to fidn a service that would do like craigslist emails (ie: sale-999999999@craigslist.org, anon-handle@craigslist.org). I think the first step would be to find the proper term for that kind of service but I haven't managed to do so. The best I can find is how to create the service (another failed search) but I'd just like to create an account on one that might already exist.

Thank you for your help

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Here's a few suggestions to your problem.

1) Don't put your email in a standard format. Write your email address in words i.e.
mysupersecretemail at nottellingyou dot com

2) Create an image with your email address instead. Don't set the image name as your email address obviously.

3) Create a new gmail account used just for the site you want to use. Then configure email to forward some emails to your actual email account. Here's a guide

I think the service you are talking about is just email forwarding.

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009

I didn't think of that at all, quite a nice idea! I know of it as captcha but not of putting anything meaningful in it, smart.

I would have hoped for a service where I can change my email name easily still keeping all my settings. With this solution, if I think one attract too much spam, I will have to re-create my setting in a new account ; it's still interesting but less convivial.

Thanks for your help. :)

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have discovered something in the meanwhile: Google profile. It has the disadvantage that those that doesn't use gmail nor don't have any account on a Google service, might have to create one (account) especially to contact me but I will mention that otherwise I'll likely get a lot of spam and hope they will understand. I will also mention that this will only be for the first message as I'll reply to their regular address thus not requiring them to re-log in Google.