Status
Not open for further replies.

rugz06

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
At work we have installed a Panasonic Projector (LB2) and I am hooking a computer up to it to gain an image, the projector is ceiling mounted with a pre-run Cat 5 cable to the server. It is very difficult to modify the cabling in the ceiling and walls.

Current setup is the following:
Computer >>> Cat 5 Cable to Faceplate >>> Cat5 from faceplate to Server
Obviously all computers/projectors are linked via the Server
Projector >>> Cat 5 Cable to Faceplate >>> Cat5 from faceplate to Server
I have made a connection between the computer and the projector with an IP Address. Now my issue is that the Ethernet cable does not produce an image at the other end.

I am looking at some type of VGA-Ethernet adapters, the issues are as follows:
1) Can I install just one VGA balun (or similar) to the projector end of the Cat5 Cable?
2) Do I have to install a VGA baluns from both the computer to Cat5 and Projector to Cat5?
3) Do I need to worry about shielded and unshielded? I don’t really know what the difference is and I don’t know what we have (I could find out).
4) I am assuming that the server in the middle of the system shouldn’t be a problem, please confirm.
5) Any other recommended options or recommended websites or products?

I have been told that VGA Baluns on an ethernet cable do not work through a server switch, please confirm.

What is the point of having a projector hooked up to the network if a video signal can not be display through that network cable??

Also are there any other ways i can make this work?

Solution
Solution

rugz06

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
If i plug the VGA cable into the computer, then i will not have a monitor plugged in.

I guess i would need some type of VGA connector?? makes 2vga cables plug into the one vga port on the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.