Should I upgrade my Pioneer Elite SC07 Receiver that has hdmi problems?

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hi All,

Several years ago I acquired a Pioneer Elite SC07 receiver and it was a wonderful receiver at the time and still a good audio receiver. I was mainly connecting to it a home theatre PC with Auzentech Home Theater HDMI card and still. So there is as well some audio processing in the card. currently I connected other Satellite receivers to it.

couple of years ago or even more, all HDMI out ports on the receiver (2 of them) died due to unplugging hdmi cables while receiver and projector/TV were on (I presume).

I can still engage the HDMI to accept the input audio and use the speakers by switching HDMI to pass through then to AMP. so that the receiver connects to the audio source. I am using recently an hdmi external 4k2k switch to send video directly to the projector or TV and audio through receiver via hdmi. But there is an inconvenience in all of this. And the receiver is a little out of date in terms of visual interface and hdmi pass through.

I am considering getting a new receiver but at the same time worried about paying unnecessary money.

I am considering either the pioneer elite sc-lx701 or Yamaha aventage RX-A2070BL. But both are a little expensive for my taste unless I get a good deal on a refurbished one.

Another alternative here in my country is a used Yamaha aventage RX-A2050 which I am willing to offer USD 700 for it but not more although it is advertised at above 1300.

Any advice or comments for the above? Ideas?

N.B: I do travel to the US sometimes so might wait to buy the receiver from amazon when I travel.

Solution
Yes ... I am in a similar position - reasonably good receiver that won't pass through 4k or HDR.

On the minus side for you - with broken hdmi out, it would probably be hard for you to sell your current receiver for very much cash.
On the plus side - you have already set up a valid work-around.

At the end of the day ... it comes down to how much convenience and appearance is worth to you. I suppose a new receiver would have a few more features ... 7.2 perhaps for another sub (i have no idea how much this adds to the sound) ... atmos, etc. In the end though - I doubt your sound will be any better (your current receiver is very good).

robert600

Distinguished
Yes ... I am in a similar position - reasonably good receiver that won't pass through 4k or HDR.

On the minus side for you - with broken hdmi out, it would probably be hard for you to sell your current receiver for very much cash.
On the plus side - you have already set up a valid work-around.

At the end of the day ... it comes down to how much convenience and appearance is worth to you. I suppose a new receiver would have a few more features ... 7.2 perhaps for another sub (i have no idea how much this adds to the sound) ... atmos, etc. In the end though - I doubt your sound will be any better (your current receiver is very good).

Solution

goldorak

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

But in case I decided to upgrade. which one of the options I mentioned would be the right receiver at the right price?

I have seen that the new pioneer sc-lx701 does not have as good reviews as the Yamaha aventage. I cannot hide that I liked the SC-07 to a good extent. but never had other receivers to compare except an entry level Yamaha receiver "Yamaha RX-V673" which I enjoy the hdmi pass through from it. in terms of sound, I prefer the pioneer D class amplifier. and as well the MCCAC on the SC-07 seemed better then then the Yamaha entry level receiver.

Any thoughts? is the new elite not good? or does it lack features?

By the way, on the SC-07 they had the THX certified, I am not seeing this on the new receivers? or does it exist?