Slow switching pioneer vsx s520

Aug 12, 2018
I have a Tivo bolt connected to the pioneer vsx 520 slim connected to a Samsung led tv from 2012 all using hdmi.

It seems that the receiver is slow at switching, the TV gives up and says there is no signal. This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the TV complains about hdcp but most of the time it just shows a blue screen on the screen. Repeated restarts eventually get it to work.

I tried running the hdmi directly to the TV with optical to the receiver. But now I can't display the receiver settings on the screen.

Any suggestions on how to improve the situation?

Thanks,

Charley

Solution
You are having a handshake problem.
If the HDMI from the receiver to the TV is a long one a booster might help.
Try a different input on the TV. Try a different cable.
You could always run a second video connection from the receiver to the TV just for the menu. If the menu comes up on the composite or component video outputs that will work too.
The next version of HDMI is supposed to address some handshake issues. About time but it won't help folks with older gear.
You are having a handshake problem.
If the HDMI from the receiver to the TV is a long one a booster might help.
Try a different input on the TV. Try a different cable.
You could always run a second video connection from the receiver to the TV just for the menu. If the menu comes up on the composite or component video outputs that will work too.
The next version of HDMI is supposed to address some handshake issues. About time but it won't help folks with older gear.

Solution