Some keys doesn't work properly

dona7as

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
Hello.

I have a really weird problem with my laptop keyboard (asus x555lb). Most of the keys on left side doesn't work for few seconds/minutes or even more, for example (1, a, q, z, tab, caps lock). I tried to reinstall my keyboard drivers via device manager, but it didn't solved the issue. I also disassembled laptop just to clean dust from other keyboard side. My Z key started to work again, but rest keys still doesn't work properly. I haven't spilled any liquid on my keyboard, this problem came from nowhere, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Those keys are in a diagonal line and that points to a loose or mismatched ribbon cable connection. Go back in and disconnect the cable from the keyboard then reconnect it firmly and dead straight.

Repeat the process at the moherboard end and if it's fixable you wll have done it. Failing that, buy a replacement keybpard.

dona7as

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

How to reconnect it properly? Should I only reconnect it from connector and connect it back again? Because I did that 2 times. Or you mean that I need to reconnect it from keyboard? I'm kinda confused, because that "dust catcher" thing is holding ribbon cable. Also, I can't make it straight, because it's already been bent in half all the time.

dona7as

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

What about another side of ribbon cable, which connects keyboard? Do I need to do something there aswell or not? Maybe that "dust catching cover" thing cause problems, do I need to peel it off?

The motherboard end of tthe cable is a more stable connection but it's worth pulling and reseating it if the problem hasn't gone away. It's also worth holding the machine over your left shoulder, keyboard downwards, then slapping the base of the case as though you were burping your baby.

Toast and biscuit crumbs can cause havoc with keyboards.

dona7as

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

I tryed everything that you mentioned, but nothing really worked. I gave up on this thing, I think I just can't fix it. Some photos of my laptop inside - https://imgur.com/a/fi3aV

A fellow Moderator has this observation:-

Looks to me like the right corner of ribbon cable is possibly torn where it attaches to the keyboard(but it might be some tape. It also looks like some dried liquid residue on the base of the cable. The images where it plugs into the motherboard are too blurry to make out anything.

It's looking like a replacement cable.

dona7as

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

That residue is dried glue, which was holding "dust catching thing". Yes, I know that ribbon cable where it attaches to keyboard looks unsteady, just because I'm afraid to completely remove it from there and clean all residues, because I have no idea how to reattach it again. I think that everything is fine when it plugs into motherboard, ribbon cable looks intact and steady. The problem might be somewhere near keyboard ribbon cable, so my question is can I remove that part of ribbon cable where it attaches to keyboard? If yes, how I can reattach again? Thanks in advance.

At the point of connection there will be a very thin brass bar across the width of the cable. Ease that away gently at each end of the bar, and in the direction of uphill along the cable. Straighten up the cable and re-site the brass bar.

That bar hardly has to move to release the cable but it does need to free before the cable can be reset.

dona7as

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

I tryed doing this, but result is same, 1 Q A keys still doesn't work, but Z looks fine. Maybe I should try do this? Is it good idea?
https://youtu.be/s1DqUrTsGQ4

dona7as

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017

It didn't worked, but I noticed that sometimes (usually when my laptop warm-up) my keys starts working again for like only 1 minute or so.. Maybe there is something that I can do about it?